Sharing Your News with the Dawson Community
To communicate information about an activity, event or item of interest at Dawson, one or a combination of the following media may be deployed:
To promote an activity, event or accomplishment on the Dawson homepage, you should send all pertinent information and images to firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com for consideration. Please remember that it remains the prerogative of the Communications Office whether to post or not in the News section, and the prominence that will be attached to the item. These editorial decisions are made based on College priorities.
Also on the homepage is the Events Calendar. Clicking on the icon will bring you to a page where you can submit your event or activity (not accomplishments/news items). You must enter your activity or event here to be considered for the homepage news section.
To promote an activity or event on the Dawson portal (mydawson) that will be seen by students or employees, but not publicly (requires entry by network username + password, you should send all pertinent information and images , if applicable, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To have your event or activity entered in the portal, you must also have submitted it on the Events Calendar. Click on the icon on the homepage and it will bring you to a page where you can submit your event or activity.
E-mail distribution lists are a convenient way to send messages to pre-defined groups of employees. Note: There is no such list to reach students. The College maintains standard lists, such as all_dawson, dawson_community and all_faculty.
General Guidelines for all mass e-mails
All messages posted on the College distribution lists must adhere to the following:
- Messages must be sent from a Dawson email address, i.e. @dawsoncollege.qc.ca
- Messages must be signed, with name, department and title, or alternatively the group or committee you represent
- Messages must include a subject line
- Messages must include a text body, i.e. not merely consist of a file attachment
- Hyperlinks may be used as long as there is enough information regarding the link in the text or in context
- The preferred format for attachments is PDF. Standard images and Microsoft Office may also be used.
- Total attachment size should not be over 1MB
All_dawson, are used to send official and important messages to all employees, such as interruptions to services (including if the College must close), emergency directives, if it is appropriate, changes in procedures or policies, announcements of senior appointments. There is no opt-out feature for all_dawson.
Posting to all_dawson can only be done by a pre-determined and approved list of senders, as are messages sent to all_faculty and all_staff, which are meant specifically for teachers and non-teaching employees, and all_support staff, respectively.
A weekly newsletter for employees is launching Tuesday, Nov. 19. The Dawson Community Email list is being phased out and will be retired at the end of 2019.
The newsletter will be for the College by the College. Instead of sending news to Dawson Community, we invite everyone with relevant news to use the Online News Contribution Form.
From Nov. 5 until the end of 2019, emails submitted to Dawson Community will be processed as follows:
- Will be held and considered for the next or an upcoming newsletter
- Will be requested to submit to the Events Calendar
- Will be let through if it is time sensitive and a team or person is not yet used to the new routine
- Will be deleted if intended for a particular audience (perhaps a specific email list needs to be created for that topic)
- Will be deleted if not related to Dawson College
If an urgent message needs to be shared, Dawson managers and secretaries have access to the All Dawson list.
Better Internal Communications for Employees of Dawson College
In an effort to improve internal communications and in consultation with the community, Dawson College is:
- Launching a new weekly newsletter for employees Tuesday, Nov. 19 with curated content useful for the Dawson College community
- Beginning a transition period to phase out emails to the “Dawson Community” List.
- Launching November 19
- Weekly delivery via email to All Dawson list
- Check your inbox every Tuesday morning
- Web-based content
- Previous issues will be archived
How to contribute to the Newsletter
- Anyone who works at Dawson is welcome to contribute
- User-friendly online contribution form
- Contributions must be received by Friday before noon to be considered for the next week’s issue
- When submitting content, think about if it is suitable for all employees or only for a specific group.
The TV screens throughout the college are one of our most important tools for reaching an on-campus audience.
The screens can display 1920 x 1080 JPGs or 15-second animations. Dawson community members wishing to display information pertinent to our internal community may adapt the following template. If you wish to display an animation instead of a still image, please contact the Communications Office prior to development for specifications.
Graphics that do not follow these guidelines or promote content that is not suitable for this channel remain at the discretion of the Communications Department to display. For any questions, email email@example.com.
To promote an event or activity of interest primarily to students, Dawson’s My Dawson College Facebook is one of the most effective ways to do it. The page has close to 15,000 likes and some 5,000 to 6,000 regular uses. Most posts are seen by 1,500 people, mostly current students.
If you would like an event or activity posted to My Dawson College Facebook page, please send pertinent information and images to firstname.lastname@example.org
The traditional poster or flyer on physical bulletin boards located around the College entails the design and production of promotional materials in varying degrees of professionalism that have to vie for the student and employee population’s attention along with other, similar materials. This may not be as effective a tool, although it is still used to a large degree. Just remember that each individual piece of paper to be affixed must be approved and stamped by Campus Life and Leadership (2E.6).