Career & Education Planning (and Career Resource Centre)
What am I going to do with my life? Where will I fit in? What are my career options?
These are big questions. Some people seem to know exactly what they want to do with their lives. They choose a college or university program and when they graduate, they go straight to the their career. The truth is that most CEGEP students aren’t that certain about what their educational and/or professional future looks like. It’s fairly common to have questions like the ones above. If you want to generate some answers to these big questions, consider taking the following steps:
- Attend a career drop-in session at the Career Resource Centre (room 6D.5, 2nd floor of library).
- Visit the Career Resource Centre to get (or find out how to get) information about various career fields
- Sign up for one of our career-planning workshops.
Career Resource Centre
If you want to meet with a career counsellor or if you want to:
- Research careers
- Look at university websites
- Learn about working and studying abroad
- Find out which universities offer the program(s) you are interested in
- Find out what you can do with a University degree (major) in……(YOU fill in the blank)
- Take out a book on careers for people who are interested in……(YOU fill in the blank)
- Learn about some excellent career-planning (including career video) websites…..
…then visit the Career Resource Centre in Room 6D.5 (Library, 2nd floor). The Centre is a service where students can meet with a career counsellor, research educational and career planning materials and more. There is also a lending library with a collection of books on every imaginable career from accountant to zoologist.
The Centre’s hours are posted on the MyDawson portal and on the door at Room 6D.5 (Library, 2nd floor).
Career Drop-in Sessions
At a drop-in session you can have a 20-minute meeting with a career counsellor. No appointment necessary. You can come to our drop-ins as many times as you want. These meetings can be very informative and will hopefully reduce your stress about the whole “what do I do with the rest of my life” thing.
Career Planning Workshops
- Career Connections Workshop: This is an informative (3 or 4-session) workshop that will help you to identify your interests, values, skills, personal preferences, and help you clarify your unique career story. During the workshop you will complete The Strong Interest and Skills Confidence Inventory as well as several other assessments. You will learn how to use the results to find career and educational options that fit your preferences and meet your goals. You will also learn about websites that can be of great help in your academic/career decision-making process.These workshops are led by counselling professionals who will address strategies for researching careers as well as encourage interactive group discussions.
- Career Cruising Workshop: Looking for career options? Come cruising! A 90-minute Career Cruising Workshop will help you to:
- identify careers based on your interests
- see how these careers match your skills
- learn why certain careers are a better match for you than others
- get in-depth information on careers of your choice, including job descriptions, working conditions, earnings, educational requirements, college and university programs, etc.
- Find out which universities throughout Canada and the United States offer the program(s) which could lead you into this career.
- learn about the best career information websites
3. Choosing A University Major Workshop: Get help making the next big decision in your life. This one-session workshop is offered jointly by the Counselling and Career Development and Academic Advising departments. Using the Strong Interest Inventory (interest test), this workshop is aimed at helping you to identify university programs that match your interests and preferences. You will also learn strategies that can help you with the application process. It’s a great idea for students who have to make a decision now!
For more information or to sign up for ANY of these workshops visit us in room 2D.2.