- Application Deadline:March 1
- Profile Code:081.62
- Program Length:1 year
If you would like to:
- Prepare for admission to a pre-university science program or science-related technical program
- Acquire necessary prerequisites that you did not obtain in Secondary V
- Learn in smaller classes with greater access to teachers
- Gain exposure to preparatory mathematics and science concepts
Then Explorations Science could be for you.
Explorations Science is a bridging program intended for students who will eventually apply to a pre-university science program or a science-related technical program (Engineering Technologies, Nursing, Medical Technologies) but have not yet completed the Secondary V Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry prerequisites needed for admission to these programs. Students benefit from smaller class sizes and the opportunity to complete General Education (English French, Humanities, Physical Education and Complementary) courses while obtaining the required Secondary V courses needed for admission.
The knowledge I acquired in my science classes will be useful in further studies and my future career.— Margaux R.
What you will learn?
- Foundational mathematical concepts needed to continue in a CEGEP science program
- Introductory-level chemistry knowledge necessary to advance to CEGEP credit-level courses
- Principles of physics that will allow you to apply to programs requiring such prerequisites
- Some General Education credits, allowing you to focus more on program-specific courses once admitted to your science-related program of choice
Where will this program lead you?
Following successful completion of the one-year Explorations Science bridging program, students can apply to a CEGEP science-related program (students must meet the criteria for acceptance). These can be chosen from the following groups of programs offered at Dawson:
- Science (Environmental, Health or Pure & Applied)
- Medical Technologies
- Engineering Technologies
Upon graduating with a DEC, students either choose to pursue a career or continue their studies at the university level in fields such as Architecture, Astronomy, Biology, Biotech, Chemistry, Computer Science, Dentistry, Education, Engineering, Environmental Science, Geology, Mathematics, Medicine, Nursing Science, Pharmacology, Physics, Physiotherapy, Veterinary Science and many more.
What else you should know?
Completion of this bridging program does not provide students with a DEC.
What do you need to get in?
- A Diploma of Secondary Studies (DES) or academic background judged equivalent to the DES
- Acceptable grades in Sec IV Mathematics - Technical & Scientific option or Science option 564-406/426 or 565-406/426 or Mathematics 436
Conditional admission is based on Secondary IV final and Secondary V mid-term grades. Final admission into the Explorations Science program is contingent on obtaining a DES which includes the prerequisite course with appropriate grades.
This program is open exclusively to students who are completing or have completed a secondary school diploma and who have no postsecondary studies.