Diploma of Secondary Studies (DES), including:
- Secondary V Language of Instruction
- Secondary V Second Language
- Secondary IV Science
- Secondary IV Mathematics
- Secondary IV History
or academic background judged equivalent to the DES.
(Students with a DES missing any of the above subjects may be admitted, space permitting, but may be required to complete remedial courses.)
Additional admission requirements
An in-person assessment is required for all applicants to the Program. This is usually scheduled for the end of March or early April. Applicants must:
- Present a portfolio of visual artworks: See PDF link below for further details about the portfolio and this process.
- Handout – Illustration Portfolio Requirements is available for download.
- Complete a timed drawing exercise
- Submit a letter of intent
- The letter of Intent should provide information regarding the applicant’s aptitudes, skills, experience and goals. The applicant must also demonstrate his/her understanding of the profession.
- Include two copies of the letter of intent: one with the online application and one inserted in the front of your portfolio.
Foreign, US, out-of-province applicants and Quebec province applicants living more than 300 kilometres from Dawson College may send their portfolio and letter of intent by mail or courier (see details below).
- Mail or courier your portfolio and letter of intent. See Illustration Portfolio Requirements PDF link above for details.
- A return envelope with postage or courier pre-payment must be included, in order to guarantee return of your portfolio. Portfolios will be returned by the end of April or early May.
- These two items must be received by us no later than March 22nd.
- Address your package to:
Chairperson, Illustration DepartmentDawson College 4001 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West, Office 2G.7Westmount, QC H3Z 3G4Canada
For general, non-program specific requirements, please consult the Admission Requirements page.
March 1st for the Fall semester.
The program begins in the Fall semester; new students are not admitted into the program in the Winter term.