No classes Sept. 27 as Dawson College Mobilizes for Climate Change
Dawson students and employees are encouraged to mobilize in support of the Global Climate Strike Sept. 27
In early June, Dawson College decided to cancel day classes* to encourage students, faculty and staff to participate in the Montreal march on Friday, Sept. 27. Recognized by Cégep Vert as a leader in sustainability for Quebec, especially for its Carbon Neutral Forever Initiative, Dawson College wanted to foster robust participation of its community.
Sept. 27 is a day to raise awareness about climate change. It is not a day off. Employees are requested to inform their managers if they intend to participate in the mobilization or if they will be coming to work as usual. The College will remain open.
Dawson Earth Action Morning, Friday, Sept. 27 at 9 a.m.:
- 9 a.m.: Complimentary coffee and bagels for students, faculty and staff meeting at the College. (Conrod’s)
- 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.: The Dawson Teachers’ Union (DTU) in collaboration with the Dawson Support Staff Union (DSSU) and the Association of Dawson Professionals (ADP) will offer workshops and talks related to climate change and the environment
- There will also be Living Campus tours offered by the Sustainability Office
- The Dawson Green Earth Club and DSU are inviting students to meet at 10 a.m. in front of the Dawson Theatre before joining with Concordia and McGill students and walking over to the march together
- Students have come up with the hashtag #DawsonRising, which you can use to show your support on social media
- You can also share your support by clicking “going” or “interested” in the Dawson College Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/2416148961839003/
Global Climate Strike, Friday, Sept. 27 at 12 p.m.:
- Montreal march in support of the Global Climate Strike begins at noon
- Departure point: Sir George-Étienne Cartier Monument in Mount Royal Park (on Park Avenue just north of Duluth Street)
- Greta Thunberg will be joining the Montreal march
- Expected to be one of the biggest on the planet
*There are two exceptions to day class cancellations:
AEC program cohorts:
- Accounting Principles gr. 103 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Network Administration gr. I from 12:30 p.m. -6 p.m.