In order to have a note-taker in class, your counsellor must have approved it as an accommodation.
Having a note-taker is not a reason to miss class! You should be an active participant in each of your courses.
How to recruit
- By approaching a student directly;
- By asking a friend in class;
- By asking your teacher to make an anonymous announcement to the class.
Should you have difficulties recruiting a note-taker, please come see us so that we may look for alternatives.
Once a note-taker has been secured, a contractual hiring form must be filled by your note-taker. Please ask your note-taker contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The method for exchanging notes should be discussed with your note-taker.
If your note-taker is frequently absent or notes provided are not satisfactory, please communicate with us early in the semester. Do not wait until it is too late!
Some guidelines to follow:
You must attend all classes . If absent, you must advise student and arrange for a substitute note-taker for that class. Write or print legibly. If you use abbreviations, please provide a legend for those abbreviations .
- Your notes should include:
- Course, date and page number on each page
- All important points and supporting details of the lecture, including information written on the board and on PowerPoints
- All due dates for tests and assignments
- All topics to study for tests and other review material noted by the teacher
- Determine and agree upon how notes will be provided to the student:
- Should your notes prove unsatisfactory to the note-takee, or they no longer require notes, payment will be pro-rated based on the number of hours notes were taken
- If you begin note-taking after the start of the semester, notes from the first days or weeks of class must be provided to the note-takee
- If the note-takee is frequently absent, please advise the SAAC
We suggest verifying with the SAAC if the student(s) requesting notes, does in fact have note-taking as an approved accommodation. Failure to do so may result in us not paying for your services.
For payment, please contact email@example.com so that a contractual payment forms can be sent to you. You will need to return this form along with a picture/copy of your social insurance card before the last week of class. Payment will be issued shortly after the end of the semester.
While many students are able to find a note-taker on their own, at times, a student will request your assistance to find a note-taker and as such may ask if you could make a general announcement in class about a fellow student needing a note-taker.
We ask that you do so discretely, without naming the student in question. We suggest making an announcement in class or by MIO. Once a potential note-taker comes forward, introduce the note-taker and note-takee; after class or by MIO.
Once a note-taker is found they must contact the SAAC at firstname.lastname@example.org for a contractual payment form. This should be done prior to the end of the semester.