In order to have a note-taker in class, your counsellor must have approved it as an accommodation.
Having a note-taker is not a reason to miss class! You should be an active participant in each of your courses.
How to recruit
- By approaching a student directly;
- By asking a friend in class;
- By asking your teacher to make an anonymous announcement to the class.
Should you have difficulties recruiting a note-taker, please come see us so that we may look for alternatives.
Once a note-taker has been found, please ask them to review the Note-Taker information.
The method for exchanging notes should be discussed with your note-taker.
If your note-taker is frequently absent or notes provided are not satisfactory, please communicate with us early in the semester. Do not wait until it is too late!
If you’ve been asked to be a note-taker for a fellow student in your class, we suggest verifying with the SAAC if the student(s) requesting notes, does in fact have note-taking as an approved accommodation. Failure to do so may result in us not paying for your services.
By accepting to be a note-taker, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
- To attend all classes. In the event that you must be absent, inform the student(s) you are taking notes for and arrange for a substitute note-taker for that class.
- To provide your notes to the student(s) in a timely manner. How notes are to be given should be discussed and agreed upon.
- To write or print legibly. If you use abbreviations, you should provide a legend for those abbreviations.
- To include in your notes:
- Course, date, and page number on each page
- All important points and supporting details of the lecture, including information written on the board and on overheads
- All due dates for tests and assignments
- All topics to study for tests and other review material noted by the teacher
- To advise the SAAC if the student(s) you are providing notes for is frequently absent
For payment (issued shortly after the end of the semester):
- Complete and email firstname.lastname@example.org the Note Taker Payment Form along with a Direct Deposit form issued by your bank.
- Enter your Social Insurance Number in Omnivox under “Personal File”
DEADLINE to submit documents: LAST DAY OF THE SEMESTER. Incomplete forms or missing documents will not be processed and could result in non-payment if not received in time.
While many students are able to find a note-taker on their own, at times, a student will request your assistance to find a note-taker and as such may ask if you could make a general announcement in class about a fellow student needing a note-taker.
We ask that you do so discretely, without naming the student in question. We suggest making an announcement in class or by MIO. Once a potential note-taker comes forward, introduce the note-taker and note-takee; after class or by MIO.
Note-takers will be paid for their service and they should be asked to review the information and complete the form found under Note-Takee.