- Application Deadline:March 1
- Profile Code:300.FT
- DEC in:Social Science
- Program Length:2 years
If you would like to:
- Gain skills and knowledge from a variety of social science subjects
- Learn to apply the scientific method and how to collect and analyze data
- Discover new places and cultures
- Study the world, globalization, migration, immigration, culture, and the impacts of travel
- Meet students who share your appreciation for learning about new cultures, places, and travel
- Understand the tourism industry and the opportunities within it
- Read and think about international issues
Then the Travel and Tourism Studies Profile could be for you.
Journey through Social Science at Dawson College by choosing the Travel and Tourism Studies Profile, the only profile of its kind in Quebec. Students and teachers are part of a unique learning community and build close relationships through following an itinerary that includes integrated learning experiences and sequenced classes.
I had passionate teachers who created outstanding learning environments for students. I understand more about geography and critical thinking.— Anthony D.
What you will learn?
As a profile, Travel and Tourism Studies encompasses all of the knowledge and skills of the Social Science Program. Its distinctiveness comes from the particular themes, topics and lens of analysis related to geography and the human dimensions of tourism.Travel and Tourism Studies students learn about:
- The human elements of travel, including immigration, global markets, travel industries and the diversity of our global populations
- Canada’s place in the world from an international perspective
- Subfields, such as ecotourism, leisure studies and 21st century transport
Where will this program lead you?
The Travel and Tourism Studies Profile is especially designed for students interested in pursuing university studies in a variety of fields, such as Transportation, Hospitality and Tourism, Marketing and Business, International Relations, Political Science and Geography. Following university, graduates may pursue careers in the foreign service, tourism management, international law (for travel), hospitality management, international development and corporate business development.
A DEC in Social Science offers solid preparation for a wide variety of university degrees in the Social Sciences as well as in fields such as Arts, Education and Law.
What else you should know?
The Travel and Tourism Studies Profile is very different from your high school geography classes. You will study a wide range of topics related to travel, including migration and immigration. This is the only DEC with a broad view of the social impacts of movement around the world in Quebec.
What do you need to get in?
- A Diploma of Secondary Studies (DES) or academic background judged equivalent to the DES
- Sec IV Mathematics - Cultural, Social & Technical option 563-414