Interactive Media Arts (IMA) Profile of the Creative Arts, Literature and Languages Program
Interactive Media Arts (IMA) is a new profile being offered in the Creative Arts, Literature and Languages program at Dawson College, starting in Fall 2012.
The focus of Interactive Media Arts is on understanding and exploring the exciting possibilities at the intersection of creativity, art, design and technology.
Interactive Media Arts students will actively explore the area of interactive art and design by creating:
- interactive web, music, sound and video
- games, apps and simulations
- interactive toys, tools, robots and sculptures
- installations and environments
Students do this by using simple, intuitive tools that keep the emphasis on creativity, not on complicated technologies.
Objectives of the Program
Interactive Media Arts students will explore the diverse forms of interactive media that include the cyberarts, web, game and app design, robotics, tangible media and more. IMA unifies the study of interactive media through an emphasis on creative thinking, systems thinking, and an active learning philosophy.
While students must learn some basic design principles and technical concepts in order to participate in this arena, IMA is not a techno-centric profile. On the contrary, IMA is centered on creativity, from self-expression to problem-solving; the underlying technologies are important only to the extent that they allow students to produce creative works, illuminate challenging concepts and issues, design enriching user experiences, or address problems of contemporary society.
Students will move back and forth between the virtual and physical worlds–to learn more about both–as they collaborate on projects involving interactive art, sound, video, apps, games, toys, tools, sculptures, installations, environments and systems modeling.
The IMA profile will prepare students for an increasing number of related university programs that have emerged in recent years, and will enable them to flourish in the emerging digital and social landscape.
Sample of University Programs:
- B.F.A Computation Arts
- B.F.A. Studio Arts (Intermedia and Cyberarts)
- B.F.A. Design (and Computation Arts)
- Baccalauréat en communication (médias interactifs)
Université de Montréal
- Diplôme d’études supérieures spécialisées (DÉSS) en design de jeux
- Bachelor of Information Technology – Interactive Multimedia and Design
University of Toronto
- B.A. Interactive Multi-Media Program
- B.A. Image Arts (New Media)
Simon Fraser University
- Schools for Interactive Arts and Technology: B.A and B.Sc
Rochester Institute of Technology
- B.F.A. New Media Design and Imaging
- B.Sc. Game Design and Development
- B.Sc. New Media Interactive Development
University of Southern California (Interactive Media Division)
- B.A. in Interactive Entertainment
- Game Design Major