The new Physical Rehabilitation program is a three-year career program that prepares students to work with physicians and/or physical therapists to aid in the recovery of patients. It will be offered for the first time at Dawson College in the Fall term 2012.
Upon successful completion of the Physical Rehabilitation program, graduates will be able to:
- Offer professional services to clients
- Adhere to the regulations set forth by the Professional Code for Physical Rehabilitation Therapists
- Intervene within their scope of practice, in the physical rehabilitation process of clients
- Demonstrate an understanding of ethical issues and relate them to the ethical and legal standards of the practice established by the professional order
- Adapt the clinical approach to the specific characteristics of a client’s environment, physical and/or mental condition and world view
- Collaborate with members of a multidisciplinary healthcare team
- Communicate in English and French, particularly in the practice of physical rehabilitation
- Demonstrate a commitment to continued personal and professional growth
- Effectively manage the emotional and physical demands of the profession
- Demonstrate an understanding of the health and safety concerns of the workplace
- Demonstrate an understanding of lifestyle behaviours that promote health and be able to relate them to client care
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem-solving skills
What will you learn?
As health care professionals, physical rehabilitation therapists combine in-depth knowledge of the human body with specialized hands-on clinical skills to intervene in cases of illness, injury and/or loss of normal function in the neurological, musculoskeletal and cardiopulmonary systems. Their goal is to obtain optimal functional performance regarding a patient’s strength, movement, mobility and overall well-being.
- Short term care facilities
- CLSCs (centre local de services communautaires)
- CHSLDs (centre d’hébergement et de soins de longue durée)
- Rehabilitation centres
- Private physical therapy clinics
- Private homes
All contents Copyright 2013 © Dawson College. Please notify the webmaster
of any changes/corrections.
Dawson College • 3040 Sherbrooke St. W. • Westmount, Quebec • H3Z 1A4 • (514) 931 - 8731