Photo by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay
The following resources have been curated and recommended by Pedagogical Counsellors and faculty members. If you would like to suggest a resource for this list, please email the Faculty Hub.
Canadian University and College Resources
- EDI Teaching Toolkit for Instructors – from the Faculty of Science, Carleton University
- The Antiracist Pedagogy Project (Concordia University) The Anti-Racist Pedagogy Project showcases pre-recorded talks by Concordians, local community activists, students and educators that historicize and offer proactive techniques for combatting systemic racism and other forms of discrimination and exclusion.
- Talking with Students about Race and Social Justice through Art – Canadian Society for Education Through Art
- Anti-Oppression/Anti-Racism Resources for Educators Queen’s University (see pages 30-41)
- Anti-racism in teaching and learning Niagara College
- Questions to Ask While Evaluating Resources Featuring Indigenous, POC and/or LGBTQ+ People and Communities (PDF)
- Vetting Resources & Culturally Responsive Teaching (PowerPoint) Developed and adapted by the Aboriginal Teacher Education Program (ATEP) Coordinator, Liv Rondeau, these guides help you to vet the resources you are considering for your classroom
- Inclusive and Empathetic Language Use Guidelines A guide created by the Alliance for Healthier Communities, Queen’s University
- Anti-racisim Resources University of British Columbia
- Colloque 20-21 janvier 2021 Comment aborder les sujets sensibles en classe Cegep de Maisonneuve (IRIPI)
- Human Resources Equity/ Respect tools Vanier College
- Anti-Racism Tools for Educators A set of resources compiled by the Anti-Racism Resource Centre
- Colloque Anti-racisme 2017 College Rosemont
- Teaching from Anti-Racist Pedagogy AS IF IT MATTERS (Video) Presenter: Njoki Wane, Professor and Associate Chair, Department of Social Justice Education, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education; President’s Teaching Award
- Islamic History Month Resources Teaching ideas, curriculum connections, and resources in history, science, literature, and ideas of the Islamic world. Curated by PhD student Hassina Alizai (Queen’s U)
American University and College Resources
- Learning for Justice webinars (formerly Teaching Tolerance) list of free webinars for educators
- Learning for Justice website
- Teaching race and racialization Vanderbilt University
- Harvard Teaching and Learning Lab Includes link to 2015 Toolkit from graduate school of education
- Association of College and University Educators (ACUE) Inclusive Teaching Practices Toolkit
- Race and Writing Assessment
- Intersectional Pedagogy University of Denver
- Academics for Black Survival and Wellness A personal and professional development initiative for Non-Black academics to honor the toll of racial trauma on Black people, resist anti-Blackness and white supremacy, and facilitate accountability and collective action. A4BL also is a space for healing and wellness for Black people.
- Black Matters: A Teach in on Language Literature Rhetoric Writing and Verbal Art (Video) This teach-in aims to demonstrate the interdisciplinary ways that the discipline of English and its sub-fields contained within the English department here at Virginia Tech (Linguistics, Literature, Rhetoric & Writing; & Creative Writing) interpret and engage with the historic and contemporary issues of “Black matters.” Presenters include Nikki Giovanni, S. Moon Cassinelli, Katie Carmichael, Sheila Carter-Tod, Gena Chandler-Smith, Alexa Garvoille, Jennifer Sano-Franchini, and Lamar Wilson.
- Antiracist Pedagogy First Steps Columbia University
- Anti-Racism and Allyship in the Classroom A resource list of discipline-specific applications and examples
- Diversity Toolkit: A Guide to Discussing Identity, Power and Privilege University of Southern California School of Social Work
Additional Canadian Resources (including some K-12)
- Learning about Racism – Canada Race Relations Foundation A free on-line program with select subject matter ‘experts’ with a series of videos and materials to learn about racism in Canada.
- Glossary of Terms – Canadian Race Relations Foundation
- Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppressive Education Teaching Strategies A resource developed by the Alberta Regional Professional Development Consortia
- Anti-racism Online Resources, British Columbia Teachers’ Federation
- Safe @ School, Lesson Plans and Tool Kits Resources and professional learning modules developed by the Ontario Teachers’ Federation and the Centre ontarien de prévention des agressions
- Equity and Inclusive Education: A Compendium of Resources for Elementary and Secondary School Teachers A set of resources developed by the Council of Ontario Directors of Education (CODE) on supporting equity in Ontario’s schools
- Call it out Ontario Human Rights Commission 30-minute interactive eCourse that offers a foundation for learning about race, racial discrimination and human rights protections under Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
- Social Justice and Diversity Book list Canadian Children’s Book Center
- Race & well-being: the lives, hopes, and activism of African Canadians by Carl Jameset al. Halifax : Fernwood, 2010. FC106.B6 R33 2010
- Canadian Education Is Steeped in Anti-Black Racism by Robyn Maynard Updated 10:14, Jun. 10, 2020 | Published Nov. 29, 2017
- Multicultural and Anti-Racism Education in Canada by James Carl E. in Race, Gender & Class Vol. 2, No. 3, (Spring 1995), pp. 31-48 (18 pages)
- The “Equity Waltz” in Canada: Whiteness and the informal realities of racism in education by Paul Carr Journal of Contemporary Issues in Education, 2008, 3(2), pp. 4-23.
Film and Media Resources
- Resisting Gendered State Violence Across Turtle Island with Robyn Maynard
- My teenage life being Black in Canada with Cameron Davis
- Finding Moonlight A Black queer counter-archive dedicated to cultivating works that centre or feature representations of Black queer life on screen. Also includes a database of over 90 Black queer activists, artists, poets, performers, actors and singers.
- #GoodAncestor Robin DiAngelo on White Fragility An interview by Layal F. Saad with Robin DiAngelo
- Henceforward: Policing Black Lives, an Interview with Robyn Maynard Danielle Cantave and Sefanit Habtom interview Robyn Maynard, author of Policing Black Lives: State Violence in Canada from Slavery to the Present
- Black in Halifax –What’s the word by El Jones
- Black and Indigenous Communities Living in Solidarity: Recognizing Intersectionality on Indigenous Peoples’ Day York University seminar June 24, 2020
- Global News Living in Colour Series
Mental Health and Wellness Resources
- Resources for Black Healing Mental health and self-care supports and resources for Black students and communities
- Five Resources to Support Healthy, Caring and Inclusive School Communities Developed by Ever Active Schools, a Canadian organization focused on building healthy communities
Racial Equity & Social Justice Resources for the Sustainability in Higher Education Community
- This collection of racial equity and social justice (RESJ) resources was initiated by the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee of the AASHE Advisory Council to highlight the vital work of the many incredible people and organizations who have been doing powerful work to bring attention to issues of racial and social justice.
- Volume II of No Sustainability Without Justice: An Anthology on Racial Equity and Social Justice shares perspectives on how racial equity, social justice, diversity and inclusion are integral components to sustainability. This Anthology aims to serve as a tool for developing literacy around the intersections of sustainability, racial equity and social justice for higher education sustainability practitioners. Explore the eight essays to learn more.