Rules and Regulations
Welcome to Dawson’s Language Lab!
To help us accommodate and serve you better, we ask that you please carefully read the following list of rules and regulations.
When you are done reading this document, please complete the online lab quiz.
- Language Labs: Lab sessions take place outside of class time and run for 45 minutes. Depending on the teacher, lab attendance may count for up to 10% of the final grade.
- Student ID Card: Upon entering the lab, students will place their Dawson ID card inside a box. After completing the lab session, students will exit through the lab’s control room to retrieve their scanned card.
- Attendance: Student lab attendance is recorded by scanning the Dawson ID card; therefore it’s compulsory to always bring your card to the lab.
- Lab Sessions: At the beginning of the semester, during the Intro Talk session, students will choose one specific lab session (per language) which will be reserved for the whole semester.
- Schedule: There are 55 different weekly lab sessions from which students can pick a time that fits into their schedule. View the lab’s schedule.
- Back-to-back Labs: Students taking more than one language course cannot schedule back-to-back lab sessions.
- Punctuality: Students must be on time. The lab door opens 5 minutes before any given session and closes 5 minutes after the beginning of the session.
*Therefore, if students arrive more than 5 minutes late, they will not be allowed to enter once the lab has started (no exceptions), as not to disturb the session in progress.
- Make-up Sessions Guidelines: For reasons such as: tardiness, illness, religious or statutory holidays, medical appointment, etc., all missed scheduled labs must be completed within the same week, during one of the following Make-up sessions.
- Make-up Sessions Schedule:
Tuesday to Thursday
- Books: Students must bring their workbook and/or textbook to the lab. They cannot do the lab without their own material nor share it.
- Forbidden: Food, drinks, surfing, texting, social media and cell phones.
Independent Student Work
The lab can also be used for independent student work; users must abide by the lab’s schedule & rules.
NB: Space priority will be given to students with mandatory lab attendance requirements.