Department of Psychology
Catherine Fichten earned her Ph.D in Clinical Psychology from McGill University where she is also an Associate Professor. In addition to teaching at Dawson College and McGill, she works at the Jewish General Hospital in the Cognitive-Behaviour and Psychotherapy Research Unit. She is the co-director of the Adaptech Research Network. Her research focuses on two areas; facilitating the postsecondary education of students with disabilities and sleep issues, including insomnia, sleep apnea, non-refreshing sleep, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Most recently, she was awarded funding from the FRQSC Reussite Scholaire program for the use of information technologies to help students with disabilities. She is the Principal Investigator of a three-year FRQNT grant on driving and sleep apnea, and a co-investigator on a Concordia led FRQSC team research grant for the Centre for the Study of Learning and Performance.
Check out Catherine’s publications on ResearchGate.
- Fichten, C.S., Nguyen, M.N., Budd, J., Barile, M., Asuncion, J., Jorgensen, M., Amsel, R., & Tibbs, A. “College and university students with disabilities: “Modifiable” personal and school related factors pertinent to grades and graduation”. Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability.#12
- Fichten, C.S., Nguyen, M.N., King, L., Havel, A., Mimouni, Z., Barile, M., Budd, J., Jorgensen, S.,Chauvin, A., & Gutberg, J. (2014). “How well do they read? Brief English and French screening tools for college students.” International Journal of Special Education, 29(1), 33-46.
- Barile, M., Fichten, C.S., Jorgensen, S. & Havel, A. (2013). “Employment opportunities for graduates with disabilities: A step forward”. Review of Disability Studies: An International Journal,8(4), 46-56.
- Fichten, C. S., Nguyen, M. N., King, L., Barile, M., Havel, A., Mimouni, Z., Chauvin, A., Budd, J.,Raymond, O., Juhel, J.-C.,Asuncion, J. (2013). “Portrait de l’utilisation des TIC par les collégiens ayant des troubles d’apprentissage, les bons lecteurs et les très faibles lecteurs”. Pédagogie collégiale, 26(4),38-42.
- Fichten, C. S., Nguyen, M. N., King, L., Barile, M., Havel, A., Mimouni, Z., Chauvin, A., Budd, J.,Raymond, O., Juhel, J.-C.,Asuncion, J. (2013). “Information and communication technology profiles of college students with learning disabilities and adequate and very poor readers.” Journal of Education and Learning, 2(1), 176-188.
- Fichten, C.S., Creti, L., Rizzo, D., Bailes, S., Baltzan, M., Amsel, R. & Libman, E. (2013). “Do all individuals with sleep apnea suffer from daytime sleepiness? A preliminary investigation”. Journal of Health Psychology, 18(6), 750 – 761.
- Rios Romenets, S., Creti, L., Fichten, C., Bailes, S., Libman, E., Pelletier, A., & Postuma, R.A. (2013).”Doxepin and cognitive behavioural therapy for insomnia in patients with Parkinson’s disease: A randomized study”. Parkinsonism and Related Disorders, 19(7), 670-675.
Contributions to Dawson’s Community
In addition to bringing a significant amount of research funding to the college, Catherine is the co-Director of the Adaptech Research Network which is a multidisciplinary funded research team based out of Dawson College.