For External Researchers
Dawson College has an interest in supporting collaborative research activity that involves researchers from other institutions. While being supportive of external research, the College recognizes that students have been entrusted to Dawson for their own personal education, and considers this its primary focus. All external research must align with priorities outlined in the Dawson College Strategic Plan and the Strategic Research Plan, and comply with Dawson and agency policies. It is expected that research led by external investigators will not have a negative impact on students, staff, or College resources.
If you are an external researcher who wishes to conduct research at Dawson, please read the FAQs below.
Contact the Research Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org or 514-931-8731 ext. 1374) for an initial assessment to discuss your project’s anticipated needs. You must apply for institutional approval as well as Dawson REB ethics review prior to starting research at Dawson. Please ensure that you begin the application process no later than 6 months in advance of your desired start date.
If you are already applying to Dawson’s REB, your application materials will be automatically submitted for institutional review. If you are not applying to the REB, you will need to submit the following documents to the Research Office (email@example.com, ext. 1374) :
1. A copy of ethics certification from your home institution (if required)
2. A copy of the funded grant application, or a detailed description of your research project (if not included in the REB application) including:
- name, affiliation and contact info of principal investigator and all collaborators
- detailed description of objectives, methodology and anticipated outcome of project
- description of the impact on Dawson and the potential benefits to Dawson community
We recommend you apply as early as possible prior to the date you wish to start collecting data. The Academic Dean’s evaluation process may take up to 4 weeks, and the REB evaluation process can take several months if modifications are required. Please see the REB meeting schedule and deadlines here.
My project does not involve human subjects, but I still want to do research at Dawson College. Do I still need institutional approval?
Yes. Please contact the Research Coordinator to discuss your project. Your project must be approved in principle by the Academic Dean prior to you conducting any research using College facilities or resources.
All external research must align with priorities outlined in the Dawson College Strategic Plan and the Strategic Research Plan, and comply with Dawson and agency policies. It is expected that research led by external investigators will not have a negative impact on students, staff, or College resources. The Academic Dean may use the criteria below to prioritize research approval, especially if demand for resources is high.
1. Research led by a Dawson investigator
2. Research partnerships between an external collaborator and a Dawson investigator
3. Potential benefit to the Dawson community, and match with Dawson priorities, including: Global Citizenship & Social Innovation, and Science, Technology, & the Environment.
The REB’s role is to ensure research is conducted in compliance with the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans and the Dawson College Policy on the Ethical Conduct of Research Involving Humans. Institutional review is required to ensure that Dawson resources are being used effectively (e.g. staff and faculty time, e-mail and Mio, space etc.) and to evaluate whether proposed research is consistent with Dawson’s values and mission.