Department of Geography
Richard’s current research focuses on geological landscapes of Mars. He is participating in a team of international planetary-scientists (funded by the Leverhulme Trust, U.K.) that will travel to the Parc national de la Vanoise in the Savoie region of France this past summer (2014). The aim is to map (georeference) the location and distribution of various periglacial landforms in the region, and to develop cross-sectional profiles of these landforms by means of a ground penetrating radar.
Check out Richard’s publications on ResearchGate.
- Soare, R. J., S. J. Conway, C. Gallagher, and J. M. Dohm. (2016) “Sorted (clastic) polygons in the Argyre region, Mars, and possible evidence of pre-and post-glacial periglaciation in the Late Amazonian Epoch.” Icarus 264 : 184-197.
- Soare, R.J., Conway, S.J., and Dohm, J.M. (2014a). “Possible ice-wedge polygons and recent landscape modification by “wet” periglacial processes in and around the Argyre impact basin”. Mars Icarus 223, 214-228
- Soare, R.J., Conway, S.J., Dohm, J.M., and El-Maarry, M.R. (2014b). “Possible opensystem pingos in and around the Argyre impact basin, Mars” (EPSL, accepted).
- Dohm, J.M., Miyamoto, H., Maruyama, S., Baker, V.R., Anderson, R.C., Hynek, B.M.,Robbins, S.J., Ori, G., Komatsu, G., El Maarry, M.R., Soare, R.J., Mahaney, W.C., Kim, R., Hare, T.M. (2013a). Mars evolution, 7-39, in Mars Evolution, geology and exploration (ed.), Fairen, A.G., New York, Nova Science Publishers.
- Soare, R.J., Conway, S.J., Pearce, G., Costard, F.N., and Séjourné, A. (2013b). Subkilometre (intra-crater) mounds in Utopia Planitia, Mars: geological evidence of a glacial origin? Icarus, doi.org/10.1016/j.icarus.2012.06.003.
- Soare, R.J., Conway, S.J, Pearce, G., Dohm, J.M., and Grindrod, P.M. (2013c). Possible crater-based pingos, paleolakes and periglacial landscapes in the high latitudes of Utopia Planitia, Mars. Icarus, doi.org/10.1016/j.icarus.2012.08.041.
- PhD, 1989, Politic philosophy, Balliol College, University of Oxford
- MSc, 2005, Geomorphology, McGill University
- BA, 2003, Geography McGill University