Did you ever wonder if the person you have/had SEX with has a STI (Sexually Transmitted Infection)?
No one has a sign on their face!
- HIV and AIDS
- Genital Herpes
- Hepatitis A, B, and C
- HPV (Condylomas)
Did you know?
- Each day in Canada, 11 people are infected with HIV
- A person who has a sexually transmitted or blood born infection (STI) may not have any visible signs or symptoms, especially in the early stages of the infection.
- One HIV positive person in three doesn’t even know they have it.
- An untreated STI can lead to complications such as abdominal pain, genital pain during sexual intercourse, and infertility.
- Some STIs can be treated easily with one dose of antibiotics, preventing further complications from occurring.
How can I know if I have an STI?
STIs are transmitted by having unprotected sex. If you had vaginal, anal, and/or oral sexual intercourse without using a condom, even once, you are at risk of having contracted a STI. If you are dating someone regularly, you should both take a STI screening test before stopping condom use.
Some STIs can also be transmitted when coming in contact with the blood of someone who is infected. GET TESTED!
How is the test done?
- For men: With a urine test (offered at Dawson or in certain clinics identified with a *) or through a sample in the urinary tract (gonorrhea and chlamydia).
- For women: With a swab of the cervix (gonorrhea & chlamydia) during a gynecological exam, a self-swab of the vagina or a urine test.
- Syphilis, Hepatitis & HIV are tested by blood sample.
Where can I get tested?
Please call before going to the clinic.
(514) 931-8731 ext. 1206
For current Dawson students ONLY
Centre de Dépistage Anonyme – 514-934-0354
(HIV only) 1801 de Maisonneuve W, suite 300 (Guy metro, exit St-Mathieu)
CLSC Métro (514) 934-0354
1801 De Maisonneuve Blvd. West *Ask for STI testing when you call*
Montreal General Hospital (514) 934-8074
1650 Cedar Ave. Infectious Disease Clinic
* On appointments only *
Head and Hands clinic (514) 481-0277
5833 Sherbrooke W. (corner Melrose)
* 25 years old and younger only *
Clinique médicale Vendôme (514) 484-4711
5175 de Maisonneuve West, offices 100
*On appointment with Dr. Rebecca Keyston. May charge 10$*
MDCM Stat clinic (514) 484-0999
5550 St-Jacques st.
*With or without appointment*
Jewish General Hospital – Infectious disease clinic
3755 Cote Ste-Catherine, 1st floor, Pavilion G, room 148
Clinique Réseau Intrégrée Universitaire (CRIU)
5858 Côte-des-Neiges Road, 5th floor
*Clinique Médicale l’Actuel (514) 524-1001
1001 de Maisonneuve East, office 1130
* On appointment (except if you have symptoms). 25$ fee *
Clinique Médicale de l’Ouest (CR) (514) 765-3600
*Clinique médicale 1851 – 514-524-7564
1851 Sherbrooke east, office 101
La Clinique A
(514) 787-0055 www.cliniquea.ca
407, McGill Street, suite 900 *This is a semi-private clinic. Please inform yourself of fees that may be charge*
BE SAFE. USE A CONDOM
For more information on STIs and STI prevention, please see the Health Education Nurse in room 2D.2, call info-santé at 8-1-1 or visit www.sexualityandu.ca