Toxic Chemical or Gas Spill
In a laboratory & public area
- Evacuate the immediate area. Do not touch the chemical(s).
- Inform the technicians or supervisors. If you are alone;
- Call Emergency/Security (local 1000 or use an Emergency Phone) and provide:
– Name(s) of chemical(s):
– Potential danger to persons in the area:
Security will call a chemical spill resource person immediately, will contact Plant & Facilities to control ventilation and stand by for instructions.
- Assist Security or the chemical spill resource person as required.
- Provide first aid as necessary. If you have been exposed to a toxic chemical or gas spill, seek a medical assessment.
- Complete and forward an Accident/Incident Report form.
Department & laboratory responsibilities
Every department or laboratory in the College; where any kind of chemicals or hazardous materials are used, or where operated machinery, which can produce any toxic emission; should have the following in a readily accessible location.
- An updated list of the chemicals or hazardous materials used in the area.
- A computer printout from WHMIS (available in Facilities Management) on all of the chemicals or hazardous materials used in the area, indicating action and treatment in the event of a spill or harmful exposure to the chemical.
- Any equipment or first aid supplies necessary for dealing with a spill or harmful exposure and for proper clean-up of the affected area. First aid supplies are available through Security.
- Any equipment and supplies necessary for handling and disposing of the chemicals or hazardous materials.