Peer Tutor Zone
Welcome to Peer Tutoring!
Resources for Peer Tutors
All official communication for Peer Tutors will happen over MIO.
Please contact the Peer Tutoring Coordinator with any questions.
New Tutor Instructions:
Please, follow the instructions from the messages you receive from a peer tutoring coordinator.
Submit the following forms to the Academic Skills Centre:
- Tutor Application Form (teacher’s recommendation not required)
- Direct Deposit information (only if different than last semester)
- Listen closely to work out the real problem
Check to see if the learner has prepared with some time and effort and attempted the assignments.
- Assess the situation
Think in terms of realistic objectives;develop a “contract” of agreed upon learning outcomes and communications expectations (availability, one/several sessions;means of communication (face-to-face, e-mail, telephone, etc.).
- Use questions to enhance problem solving
- Demonstrate or model similar processes
- Don’t be afraid to reveal that you don’t know something
You can refer the learner to more sources, including the teacher.
You can take the opportunity to learn/problem-solve, and bring back answers,
and demonstrate that you are in a learning process as well.
- Give positive feedback, use encouraging vocabulary
- Find success, and reinforce effort, in even minor accomplishment
- Summarize and review
- Enable follow up
- Celebrate accomplishment!
- Keep records for future reference