How/where can I get information about the Laboratory Technology - Analytical Chemistry Program?

In addition to this website, at the Dawson College Open House in October, you can speak directly to faculty and students and learn about the program through the displays and demonstrations. You can also contact the Program Coordinator for more information.

Where can I get information about the profession of Chemical Laboratory Technologist?

The Canadian Society for Chemical Technology (a part of the Chemical Institute of Canada) gives information about the profession, education, employment opportunities, and more.

The Government of Canada’s website Working in Canada has detailed information about the duties and required skills for Laboratory Technologists, as well as about education and employment.

What are the admission requirements?

  • Diploma of Secondary Studies.
  • Mathematics 564-506 or 565-506 and Chemistry 551-504.
  • For students graduating before June 2010 or from an Adult Education Center, the pre-requisites are Math 526, Chemistry 534 and Physics 534.

I have done the prerequisites more than 5 years ago. How will this affect my application?

If you have completed the program prerequisites more than 5 years ago, you may be required to demonstrate your competency in these areas by either passing pre-admission tests with a satisfactory grade or taking refresher courses.

I am missing a prerequisite; can I take it during the summer prior to admission?

If you are missing only one prerequisite course, you can still apply. If you are accepted into the program, you will be given a conditional acceptance. You will be required to register and complete this course in the summer before beginning the program in the Fall. If you are missing two pre-requisite courses, your application will not be considered. Priority may be given to applicants who have already completed all required prerequisites.

Is there a French or English language proficiency requirement to entering the program?

No. There are English and French placement tests to place you at the suitable level of studies in these two subjects. The instruction in the program is given in English, and it is dtly recommended that those applicants who experience difficulty in communicating in English do their best to bring their language skills to college level.

I lack the language and/or science skills that are required for this program. What should I do?

You can improve your language skills and/or complete or update the necessary prerequisite science/math courses by registering in the appropriate courses through the Continuing Education department at any CEGEP or through an Adult Education centre.

How can I find out if the courses that I have taken are equivalent to the admission pre-requisite courses?

If you are unsure that you have the program pre-requisites, you can check with an academic advisor to determine whether you should be completing additional courses before applying to the program. However, having all program pre-requisites does not guarantee admission to the program.

I already have a D.E.C. or a Bachelor's degree. Can I finish in less than 3 years? Can I get equivalences for some courses?

You will be given credit for any general education courses (English, French, Humanities, Physical Education or complementary courses) which you have taken. As well, you may be eligible for equivalences for some general science courses. This assessment is normally done after registration through a process in the Registrar’s office. However, we generally do not give equivalences for the laboratory technology courses.

The structure of the Program makes it difficult to graduate in less than three years.

Can I take the program on a part time basis and/or in the evening?

The program is offered during regular daytime hours only. Students must take a full load of courses, which includes all courses indicated in the program grid for each semester of study.

Will my schedule allow me to work at a job part-time and be a full time student in the program?

You will find it difficult to complete the required amount of homework if you are working more than a few hours per week.

What are the chances of finding full-time employment once I have graduated?

Currently the employment prospects for the profession are good. Demand comes from a variety of economic sectors; petrochemical, pharmaceutical, environmental, educational and food industries. The increased importance given to environment and detection of pollution is expected to increase the demand of chemical technologists.

Can I continue my studies at university and complete a Bachelors degree?

Many of our graduates continue to study at university. Depending on the program of study, there may be additional prerequisite courses that the students will need to complete in order to be admissible to university studies after the three years in the Program.

What is the cost of the program?

There is no tuition for Quebec residents. Non-residents should consult the Dawson website for fee information. All students must pay students fees of approximately $130/semester. Books and lab materials may cost approximately $400/year.

What type of financial/academic support is available at the College?

Student Services provide a great deal of support to students. Check the College website to find out about many services at Dawson College, including the Academic Skills centre, Student AccessAbility Centre, the Mentor Program, the Peer and Faculty Tutoring Programs, Academic Advising, Counseling, Career Counseling and Financial Assistance.

Last Modified: September 14, 2018