Chapeau! Les filles recognizes women studying in male-dominated fields
The Quebec-sponsored program Chapeau! Les filles (Hats Off to You! in English) has been recognizing the academic pursuits and achievements of women in male-dominated fields for 26 years.
The 2022 edition is underway with a call to candidates to apply by the March 4 deadline date. Female students enrolled full-time in one of the following programs are eligible: Civil Engineering Technology, Computer Science Technology, Electronics Engineering Technology, Industrial Design and Mechanical Engineering Technology.
Students can apply to a wide range of awards with values from $2,000 to $5,000. A dedicated website provides all the information needed including a handy guide (in English or French) for submitting an application package.
For teachers, program coordinators and department chairs, deans and associate deans of these programs, it is important to note that candidates must be recommended by their CEGEP. If you know any deserving female student who deserves to be recognized, please encourage them to apply!
Applicants must answer the following questions:
- How did you become interested in your field of study? Why did you choose this career?
- As a student in a male-dominated program of study, what are the ways, methods, tricks or tips
that you used to stand out from the others and ensure your success?
- Which of your program-related achievements are you most proud of? Explain why.
- After you complete your studies, which trade do you intend to work in? Why?
- How did your mentor inspire and motivate you, and what impact did this person have on your
Dawson has had award recipients in the past, for which the College is exceptionally proud, but a special push to encourage female students in these programs to apply is needed. The financial support is welcome, the recognition is priceless.