- Application Deadline:March 1, November 1
- Profile Code:300.FB
- DEC in:Social Science
- Program Length:2 years
If you would like to:
- Gain skills and knowledge from a variety of Social Science subjects
- Learn to apply the scientific method and how to collect and analyze data
- Comprehend the basics of business
- Be well prepared to study commerce at the university level
- Take challenging mathematics courses
- Think outside the box
- Work in teams
- Apply ideas learned in class to real life situations
Then the Commerce Profile could be for you.
The bottom line is that when you choose the Commerce Profile, you get to explore a variety of Social Science subjects while learning the basics of business. The mathematics courses give you the prerequisites to apply to any university business program in the country. Students journey through this profile together as part of a small community.
After learning about many spheres of commerce including marketing, economics, statistics and business, I was able to understand my interests and make decisions about my future direction.— Manelle S.
What you will learn?
- The Commerce Profile encompasses all of the knowledge and skills of the Social Science Program. Its distinctiveness comes from the particular themes, topics and lens of analysis related to business, economics and mathematics.Commerce Profile students will learn:
- To recognize the significant role the Social Sciences play in understanding the business environment
- To use mathematical analysis to understand and solve business problems
- To analyze basic business problems, assess alternatives and propose solutions
- To apply relevant economic, business and marketing concepts to business problems
- To clearly and effectively communicate oral and written arguments and ideas
Where will this program lead you?
The Commerce Profile is especially designed for students interested in pursuing university studies in accounting, marketing, finance and economics. Following university, graduates may pursue careers in human resources, management, advertising, entrepreneurship and public administration.
A DEC in Social Science offers solid preparation for a wide variety of university degrees in the Social Sciences as well as in fields such as Arts, Education and Law.
What else you should know?
- Students explore various business issues by working in teams and groups on case studies
- A variety of industry expert guest speakers share their knowledge and experience with students
What do you need to get in?
- A Diploma of Secondary Studies (DES) or academic background judged equivalent to the DES.
- Sec V Mathematics – Technical & Scientific option or Science option 564-506 or 565-506 or Mathematics 536/526