- Application Deadline:March 1, November 1
- Profile Code:300.GB
- DEC in:Social Science
- Program Length:2 years
If you would like to:
- Learn the essential areas of business
- Be well prepared to study Commerce or Business Administration at the university level
- Know how to manage business enterprises
- Develop new ideas and work in teams
- Apply ideas learned in class to real-life situations
- Gain skills and knowledge from a variety of Social Science subjects
- Learn to apply the scientific method and how to collect and analyze data
Then the Commerce Profile could be for you.
Choosing this profile allows you to explore a variety of Social Science subjects while learning the basics of business. The mathematics courses give you the prerequisites to apply to most university business programs in the country. Students journey through this profile together as part of a small community.
After learning about many spheres of commerce including marketing, economics, statistics and business, I was able to understand my interests and make decisions about my future direction.— Manelle S.
What you will learn?
Commerce Profile students will learn to:
- Recognize the significant role the Social Sciences play in understanding the business environment
- Use mathematical analysis to guide business decisions
- Analyze business problems, assess alternatives and propose solutions
- Apply relevant economic, business and marketing concepts to business problems
- Understand how micro and macro factors affect business
- Clearly and effectively communicate oral and written arguments and ideas
- To explain social phenomena and human behaviour using theories, perspectives, and approaches specific to the disciplines of social science
- To integrate methodologies, perspectives, and approaches of inclusion, equity, diversity, decolonization, and anti-oppression when analyzing social phenomena and human behaviour
- To conduct an interdisciplinary, individual research project
- To explain how differences in social identities and world views could influence opinions, beliefs, values, and social interactions
- To integrate an understanding of the root causes of environmental crises to take actions both locally and globally
Where will this program lead you?
Like all Social Science profiles, Commerce leads to a DEC in Social Science, which qualifies you for most any university program in the social sciences or humanities.
The Commerce Profile is designed for students interested in pursuing university studies in accounting, marketing, finance and economics. Following university, graduates may pursue careers in human resources, management, advertising, entrepreneurship and public administration.
What else you should know?
- Students explore various business issues by working on case studies together
- A variety of industry expert guest speakers share their knowledge and experience with students
- Every year, academic advisors from HEC, John Molson School of Business at Concordia University and the Desautels Faculty of Management at McGill University are invited to Dawson to speak about their business and management programs.
What do you need to apply?
- A Diploma of Secondary Studies (DES) or academic background judged equivalent to the DES.
- Sec V Mathematics – Technical & Scientific option or Science option 564-506 or 565-506