A pre-university honours program with a uniquely integrated curriculum that prepares graduates for a broad range of university studies
Liberal Arts is for you if
- You love learning about history, literature, philosophy, humanities, the arts and all the connections between them!
- You are enthusiastic and curious about many subjects & haven’t yet decided which path to follow
- You want the chance to “customize” your DEC through option courses in the Social Science, Science, Visual Arts, and Arts, Literature & Communication programs or in Math
- You want to enter university with the best possible foundation in knowledge and skills needed to succeed, regardless of what field you choose: law, history, literature, philosophy, psychology, political science, classics, international development, journalism, communications, business administration, linguistics, and more
The liberal arts are based on the belief that disciplined learning builds one’s personal intellectual life and career. In medieval universities, the seven liberal arts were grammar, logic, rhetoric, arithmetic, geometry, music and astronomy. While the modern liberal arts are conceived somewhat differently, they pursue the same tradition of ordered learning to cultivate the mind.
At Dawson College, Liberal Arts is a two-year honours pre-university program. The carefully constructed curriculum is composed of required courses and seminars in classics, English, history, humanities and philosophy, as well as options in other disciplines.
This broad survey of the history, intellectual and creative heritage of our civilization is designed to provide students with a strong foundation of knowledge and skills appropriate to university studies in most faculties outside architecture, engineering and the physical sciences. The program emphasizes a wide range of critical reading, leading to the effective expression of thought in writing and oral argument.
Students will develop and demonstrate the capacity for
- Critical thought and reflection
- Personal responsibility and ethical discernment
- Cogent, well-formed oral and written expression
- Informed aesthetic responses
Graduates of our Liberal Arts Program have pursued a wide variety of university programs in Canada and abroad including
- Université de Montréal,
- University of Toronto,
- University of Ottawa,
- York University,
- Oxford University,
- University of Cambridge,
- London School of Economics
In the following areas of study:
- Arts and humanities
- University professor
- Investment banker
- Music producer…and many more!
“It’s technology married with liberal arts,
married with the humanities, that yields us the result that makes our heart sing.”
Apple Computer, Inc
“I personally think there’s going to be a greater demand in 10 years for
Liberal arts majors
than there were for programming majors and maybe even engineering,” he said. “When the data is all being spit out for you, options are being spit out for you, you need a different perspective in order to have a different view of the data.”
Forbes Magazine (Feb. 2017)