- Application Deadline:March 1, November 1
- Profile Code:500.G4
- DEC in:Arts, Literature and Communication (ALC)
- Program Length:2 years
If you would like to:
- Watch movies
- Create movies, animations or podcasts
- Study and analyze media
- Produce augmented reality projects
- Develop (social) media campaigns
- Promote and advertise your media projects
- Read and write
- Observe and discuss works of art
- Conduct research and analysis
- Communicate and debate your ideas
- Make art
- Speak multiple languages
Then the Cinema | Communications Profile could be for you.
Look at media differently, be exposed to the best films, television and media works in history from all over the world and learn what makes a film or media project great. Be equipped to explain a film’s impact from emotional and critical perspectives. Assess and discuss a range of media practices and productions including social media, news media, new media, sound art and augmented reality. In addition, you will also make your own films and media. By the end of your Cinema l Communications Profile studies, you will have a solid foundation in film and communication studies.
The Cinema | Communications Profile gave me the creative freedom and time to discover and better understand myself.— Kaël M.
What you will learn?
- To analyze a film or media practise
- To make a critical judgement
- To empathize and appreciate other cultural perspectives through media
- To understand the elements of effective storytelling
- To write scripts for media
- To edit and produce videos
- To understand multimedia production
- To appreciate a collection of works
- To think critically and be creative
- To explain and offer valuable commentary on national cultural issues
- To use creative techniques or processes for creative purposes
- To execute a creative project
Where will this program lead you?
Graduates are well prepared for university studies in Media, Communications, Journalism, Cinema Studies, Film Production, Animation and the Arts.
Some possible future careers include filmmaker, film editor, film producer, communications director, journalist, cinematographer/videographer, podcast producer, writer, designer and translator.
What else you should know?
- No portfolio is required for admission
- Students have access to two dedicated state-of-the-art computer labs, an animation atelier, a lighting studio and a sound recording booth
- Students get to use a wide range of consumer and professional grade video and sound recording technologies and lighting equipment
- A general-purpose space exists for students to work on group projects outside of class time
- Teachers are available for extensive one-on-one time with students
- A broad range of options within the arts allow students to gain knowledge and expertise across multiple arts disciplines
- There is an opportunity to take minors in this profile
- Students are part of a small community of film enthusiasts and media artists
- Students take field trips to visit local photo and art exhibitions, theatrical presentations, book launches and poetry and book readings
- Distinguished filmmakers and media producers are invited to share their knowledge and experience
- Students are encouraged to intern or work at film festivals, with filmmakers and for media production studios
What do you need to get in?
A Diploma of Secondary Studies (DES) or academic background judged equivalent to the DES.