- Application Deadline:March 1
- Program Code:142.G0
- DEC in:Medical Ultrasound Technology
- Program Length:3 years
If you would like to:
- Learn through hands-on experience
- Work in a fast-paced medical environment
- Study biology and physics
- Show your inherent empathy with patients
- Develop strong communication skills as part of a team
- Take responsibility, be autonomous and show initiative
- Make use of your natural curiosity and ability to adapt
- Work in a physically demanding profession
Then the Medical Ultrasound Technology Program could be for you.
Ultrasound technologists are in high demand because their work is essential for diagnosing patients and developing treatment plans. They perform ultrasound examinations and acquire images, videos and information, which they communicate to a specialized physician. As part of an interdisciplinary team, they assist in medical interventional procedures. Seeing a developing fetus for the first time is an exciting part of the job in the obstetrics specialty. Other subsectors include cardiac and abdominal ultrasonography. At Dawson, Medical Ultrasound Technology students will enjoy hands-on learning in a stimulating environment, including state-of-the-art equipment, with a small group and one-on-one support from teachers. This is a brand new program at Dawson that will be offered for the first time in English in Quebec in the Fall of 2021.
What you will learn?
- To understand the fundamentals of ultrasound equipment and quality control
- To care for patients
- To develop communication skills
- To adapt to various clinical and patient settings
- To interpret exam requisitions and clinical information
- To acquire optimal ultrasound images and videos
- To perform various types of ultrasound examinations
- To collaborate in an interdisciplinary healthcare team
- To assist in various medical interventional procedures
- To stay current on developments in technology within the profession
- To engage in continuous professional development and transfer of knowledge to others
Where will this program lead you?
Medical ultrasound technologists are ready for work at the end of their program. They can work in the following sub-sectors of medical ultrasound technology: abdominal, pelvic, surface, obstetrical, musculoskeletal, cardiac, vascular and breast ultrasound.Possible Workplaces:
- Community hospitals
- Medical clinics
- University hospitals
What else you should know?
- Clinical training complements the learning on campus
- Students will benefit from Dawson’s innovative interdisciplinary learning approach with students from Dawson’s five other medical technology programs
- Once admitted to the program, students must:
- have a clean criminal record check
- provide proof of a complete immunization record
- submit a medical certificate of health
- English and French communication skills are essential
- As a member of a professional order, the Ultrasound Technologist must obtain educational credits each year to maintain their professional license
What do you need to get in?
- A Diploma of Secondary Studies (DES) or academic background judged equivalent to the DES
- Sec IV Mathematics - Cultural, Social & Technical option 563-404/414 or Mathematics 426
- Sec IV Science & Technology or Applied Science & Technology 555-404/444 or 557-406/416 or Physical Science 416
- Placement at College English 101 and Basic French 100 (testing may be required)
- Video statement