A nursing program in the heart of downtown Montreal
The DEC Nursing program at Dawson College is known for the excellence of its nursing graduates and is designed to provide students with generalized knowledge and skills necessary to become a Registered Nurse (RN) in the province of Quebec. As a student nurse in the DEC program, you will acquire a set of competencies within the program-specific and general education courses that are designed to foster personal and professional development. You will develop the ability to communicate and interact effectively with clients, their families and health professionals, analyze and interpret data, and deliver quality nursing care.The program is revised regularly to meet emerging challenges in the field of Nursing. Use of simulation, including both high and low fidelity mannequins, both in the college and at the ESPA centre, complement the students clinical experiences and enables the student to encounter realistic patient situation in a controlled learning environment while enhancing clinical reasoning skills.
Is the Nursing program for you?
- The scope of the nursing practice includes: Promoting Health & Wellness, Preventing Illness, restoring Health & Care for the dying (RNAO, BCG)
- Are you passionate about promoting health and preventing disease?
- Would you like to learn more about helping people optimize their health, so they can live more fulfilling lives?
- Are you interestest in helping people regain their health after/during a period of illness??
- Do you have excellent social and problem-solving skills?
- Are you committed to life-long learning?
- are you a compassionate, empathetic person who would like to help manage the care of a person who is dying, to priomote comfort and help families along their journey?
For questions about admissions, eligibility or licensing, read our FAQ.
Graduates of the three or four-year CEGEP Nursing program may practice nursing in Quebec after passing the Ordres des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec (OOIQ) licensing exam.
An urgent need for nurses has been identified, now and in the future. Graduates find employment in many clinical areas, particularly hospitals and CHSLD`s. College nursing graduates are strongly encouraged to continue their nursing education by obtaining a Baccalaureate degree in Nursing. Dawson College has developed an integrated 2 year DEC-BAC program in partnership with McGill University’s Ingram`s School of Nursing. Continuing your education in university will increase the scope of your career opportunities.
Student for a Day
Students wishing to participate in Student for a Day are invited to attend our Open House in the Fall where they will be given the opportunity to sign up.