- Application Deadline:March 1
- Program Code:144.A1
- DEC in:Physiotherapy Technology
- Certification:Ordre professionnel de la physiothérapie du Québec
- Program Length:3 years
Please note that a video statement is now required as part of your application instead of a letter of intent as mentioned in the video, which was produced before this new requirement.
If you would like to:
- Learn about how the human body works
- Help people improve their quality of life
- Work in a social and motivating healthcare environment
- Study in a modern therapeutic setting
- Acquire experience in clinics and hospitals while completing your DEC
Then the Physiotherapy Technology Program could be for you.
The Physiotherapy Technology Program will prepare you to work with physicians and physiotherapists to help patients recover from injury and illness. While studying to be a healthcare provider, you will learn hands-on clinical skills that will prepare you for work in a variety of settings. You will get to apply your knowledge while at Dawson by treating community members in our in-house clinic or at affiliated centres.
This program allowed me to see the bigger picture of how the body works and how we can help heal it.— Jasmine R.
What you will learn?
- To improve a patient’s strength, movement and mobility with the goal of maximizing function and overall well-being
- To engage in problem solving, critical thinking and clinical judgement
- To multitask and adapt to unforeseen circumstances
- To employ patient intervention techniques using exercise, hands-on techniques and electrical modalities
- To build trusting relationships based on empathy
Where will this program lead you?
Graduates of the Physiotherapy Technology Program often pursue careers as physiotherapy technologists in hospitals, CLSCs, rehabilitation centres, private physiotherapy clinics and other organizations.
Other graduates choose to continue their studies at the university level in programs such as Physiotherapy, Kinesiology, Athletic Therapy and Physical Education. These programs sometimes require additional prerequisites.
What else you should know?
Once admitted to the program, students must:
- pass a criminal record check
- provide proof of a complete immunization record
As a student in this program, you will participate in a clinical component during which you will work with patients in hospitals and clinics under professional supervision. These clinical placements will take place during the second and third years of the program.
Upon graduation with a DEC in Physiotherapy Technology, graduates are required to apply to the Ordre professionnel de la physiothérapie du Québec to obtain a license to practice as a Physiotherapy Technologist.
What do you need to apply?
- A Diploma of Secondary Studies (DES) or academic background judged equivalent to the DES
- Sec V Physics 553-504
- Eligibility to take College English 603-101 and Basic French 602-100 (testing may be required)
- Video statement