- Application Deadline:March 1, November 1
- Profile Code:300.FP
- DEC in:Social Science
- Program Length:2 years
If you would like to:
- Gain skills and knowledge from a variety of social science subjects
- Learn to apply the scientific method and how to collect and analyze data
- Understand what makes humans tick Learn about mental health
- Research and explore human potential
Then the Psychology Profile could be for you.
Explore the social sciences with a focus on Psychology and be part of a small learning community that has access to hands-on learning at the General Psychology Laboratory and open-door tutoring every week. Students also benefit from a laboratory component in the Introduction to Psychology course and guest lectures by practitioners and researchers who come to Dawson to share their knowledge. The profile offers four sequenced Psychology courses and a Human Biology course.
The Psychology Profile allowed me to discover different fields in psychology and helped me understand myself and my interests better.— Winnie D.
What you will learn?
As a profile, Psychology encompasses all of the knowledge and skills of the Social Science Program. Its distinctiveness comes from the particular themes, topics and lens of analysis related to Psychology.Psychology Profile students learn about:
- The scientific approach to the study of human behaviours
- Concepts and insights related to various areas of psychology
- The interaction of factors, which influence human behaviours
- How to apply the methods and concepts of psychology to real-life situations
Where will this program lead you?
The Psychology Profile is especially designed for students interested in pursuing university studies in Psychology, Business and Marketing, Education and Counselling. Following university, graduates may pursue careers in psychology, teaching, research, labour relations and law.
A DEC in Social Science offers solid preparation for a wide variety of university degrees in the Social Sciences as well as in fields such as Arts, Education and Law.
What else you should know?
Psychology studies will never be wasted! Knowledge of psychology will be used throughout your life to understand yourself and others. Psychology Profile students get to participate in learning exercises and have fun:
- Playing Brain Bee, a Jeopardy-inspired game where students can showcase their knowledge of Psychology and Neuroscience for a chance to win prizes
- Participating in fundraising activities
- Feeling a sense of belonging on campus by learning with a community
What do you need to get in?
- A Diploma of Secondary Studies (DES) or academic background judged equivalent to the DES
- Sec IV Mathematics - Cultural, Social & Technical option 563-404/414 or Mathematics 416