- Application Deadline:March 1, November 1
- Profile Code:300.GP
- DEC in:Social Science
- Program Length:2 years
If you would like to:
- Understand what makes humans tick
- Learn about mental health
- Learn about the human mind and how it functions
- Research and explore human potential
- Gain skills and knowledge from a variety of social science subjects
- Learn to apply the scientific method and how to collect and analyze data
Then the Psychology Profile could be for you.
Understanding humans and human potential is at the heart of the social sciences.
The Psychology Profile provides a specific focus on human behaviour and the mental, social and cultural processes that shape how humans think, act and feel. Its aim is to understand “what makes humans tick.” The profile delivers courses in a variety of disciplines such as Psychology, Sociology, Biology, Philosophy and Religion.
The Psychology Profile allowed me to discover different fields in psychology and helped me understand myself and my interests better.— Winnie D.
What you will learn?
- To use evidence-based communication and interaction skills
- To adopt a scientific approach to the study of human behaviours
- To become familiar with concepts and insights related to various areas of psychology
- To understand the interaction of factors, which influence human behaviours
- To apply the methods and concepts of psychology to real-life situations
- To explain social phenomena and human behaviour using theories, perspectives, and approaches specific to the disciplines of social science
- To integrate methodologies, perspectives, and approaches of inclusion, equity, diversity, decolonization, and anti-oppression when analyzing social phenomena and human behaviour
- To conduct an interdisciplinary, individual research project
- To explain how differences in social identities and world views could influence opinions, beliefs, values, and social interactions
- To integrate an understanding of the root causes of environmental crises to take actions both locally and globally
- To communicate work effectively in English, both orally and in writing, using appropriate vocabulary, form, and style
- À communiquer en français sur un objet d'étude en utilisant le vocabulaire, la forme et le style appropriés
Where will this program lead you?
Like all Social Science profiles, Psychology leads to a DEC in Social Science, which qualifies you for most any university program in the social sciences or humanities. The Psychology Profile is especially designed for students interested in pursuing university studies in Psychology, Business and Marketing, Education, Counselling, Human Resources and Law.
What else you should know?
- Extra-curricular activities welcome students into a community of mutual support
- The Psychology Profile Students’ Committee organizes a series of events (movie nights, fundraisers, raffles) and have established a successful presence and community life on social media
- Speakers of international and national renown such as Psychology experts (researchers and practitioners) and medical professionals are regular guests
- Opportunities for students to do real research with Dawson’s Neuroscience Research Group
- The Psychology Profile Award is presented to graduating students who have exceptional grade averages and have demonstrated citizenship and community service related to the field of mental health and well-being
What do you need to get in?
- A Diploma of Secondary Studies (DES) or academic background judged equivalent to the DES.
- Secondary IV Mathematics: Cultural, Social & Technical option 563-404/414