- Application Deadline:March 1, November 1
- Profile Code:200.P1 (Enriched Science)
200.P2 (Regular Science)
- DEC in:Science
- Program Length:2 years
If you would like to:
- Explore advanced ideas in mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology
- Understand the natural world Learn how scientific knowledge is constructed
- Use logical reasoning to solve problems
- Be well prepared for university studies in the sciences, mathematics, engineering or medicine
- Obtain a DEC in Science
Then the Pure and Applied Science Profile could be for you.
Everything we know about the universe, from the properties of atoms to the movement of galaxies, is the result of scientific research and discovery. The world’s most pressing challenges require the minds of well-trained scientists. Dawson’s Pure and Applied Science Profile offers you maximum flexibility, which allows you to explore a variety of advanced topics or to concentrate on specific disciplines. All the doors of science programs at university are wide open for you. However, this profile is especially designed for students who are interested in pursuing Engineering, Physics or Mathematics at university.
The emphasis on collaboration and the importance of cross-disciplinary research are values taught here that will serve me well in the future as a scientist.— Benjamin C.
What you will learn?
- To reason like a scientist
- To collect, analyze and communicate experimental data
- To use computers to solve problems in science and engineering
- To think analytically
- To solve complex problems
Where will this program lead you?
Graduates are well prepared to pursue university studies in a wide variety of fields, including: Architecture, Astronomy, Biology, Biotech, Chemistry, Computer Science, Dentistry, Education, Engineering, Environmental Science, Geology, Mathematics, Medicine, Nursing Science, Pharmacology, Physics, Physiotherapy, Veterinary Science and many more.
What do you need to get in?
- A Diploma of Secondary Studies (DES) or academic background judged equivalent to the DES
- Sec V Mathematics – Technical & Scientific option or Science option 564-506 or 565-506 or Mathematics 536
- Sec V Chemistry 551-504 or Chemistry 534
- Sec V Physics 553-504 or Physics 534
Academically strong students can apply to Enriched Pure and Applied Science (200.P2). This profile covers the same curriculum as Pure and Applied Science but offers enhanced learning opportunities and a stimulating environment.
In addition to the admission requirements for Pure and Applied Science, you must also have:
- An overall average of at least 80%
- A minimum of 85% in at least two of the Secondary V science prerequisite courses and a minimum of 80% in the third
- Students who are not accepted into Enriched Pure and Applied Science will be automatically considered for Pure and Applied Science
- Being in Enriched Pure and Applied Science does not disadvantage students when it comes to the R-Score since R-Scores are calculated in relation to the entire body of students in the Science program