Starting in 2022-2023, students in this program are eligible to apply for a Perspective Scholarship (Programme de bourses Perspective Québec) valued at $1 500 for every successful term for a total of $9 000 for a three-year program.
- Application Deadline:March 1
- Program Code:241.A0
- DEC in:Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Program Length:3 years
If you would like to:
- Learn about robotics, automation and machinery
- Use advanced technology in a hands-on mechanical laboratory setting
- Collaborate in a team environment Have the option of studying Automated Manufacturing or Mechanical Design
- Design, build and prototype anything you can imagine
Then the Mechanical Engineering Technology Program could be for you.
The Mechanical Engineering Technology Program will prepare you to work in the design, construction, installation, control and use of mechanical devices in the manufacturing of goods. The labs at Dawson are equipped with both conventional equipment (lathes and welding facilities) and high-tech resources (CAD, CNC machining tools and robotics) to give you the skills needed to work in the exciting field of Mechanical Engineering. Study with small teams of students and gain experience that often leads to immediate employment upon graduation.
Through hands-on learning in the machine shop and with the software, I got to apply theoretical knowledge and gain practical experience in manufacturing.— Navid H.
What you will learn?
- To program and service automated equipment
- To machine and operate conventional and CNC equipment
- To communicate and present technical information
- To plan and manage the manufacture of goods
- To design mechanical devices of moderate complexity
Where will this program lead you?
Graduates of the program often pursue careers as mechanical engineering technologists in the following areas: Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM), Computer Aided Design (CAD), quality control and inspection, research and development, technical sales and project management. Other graduates choose to continue their studies at the university level in Engineering or other programs. These sometimes require additional prerequisites.
What else you should know?
As a student in Mechanical Engineering Technology, you will choose either the Mechanical Design or the Automated Manufacturing option for the final year of the program.
Students often find summer internships due to steady demand from local industry. In addition to being recognized across Canada, graduates can work in the U.S.A. and Mexico under the TN NAFTA Professionals agreement (please consult the official agreement for further information).
What do you need to get in?
- A Diploma of Secondary Studies (DES) or academic background judged equivalent to the DES
- Sec IV Mathematics – Technical & Scientific option or Science option 564-426 or 565-426 or Sec V Cultural, Social & Technical option 563-504
- Sec V Physics 553-504