Starting in 2022-2023, students in this program are eligible to apply for a Perspective Scholarship (Programme de bourses Perspective Québec) valued at $1 500 for every successful term for a total of $9 000 for a three-year program.
- Application Deadline:March 1
- Program Code:574.B0
- DEC in:3D Animation & Computer Generated Imagery
- Program Length:3 years
If you would like to:
- Draw, paint, sculpt
- Create digital art
- Watch or create animated films
- Solve problems
Then the 3D Animation & CGI Program could be for you.
Write, direct, illustrate, produce and act in your own animated films! Perhaps you will even be part of an Oscar-winning VFX team, like some graduates of Dawson’s unique program. Students develop fundamental art skills while also learning cutting-edge computer skills. Many teachers continue to work in the industry, which keeps the program relevant. Montreal’s world-famous digital effects industry is waiting for you upon graduation.
This 3D program offers incredible preparation for working in the field. You will be equipped to handle anything the industry throws at you.— Nicolas L.
What you will learn?
- To animate characters with 3D software
- To model characters, props and the environment using 3D modelling software
- To produce digital visual effects and composite them
- To record, manage and edit motion capture data and to apply that to characters
- To use cameras and lenses for film and photography
- To coordinate projects, manage time and respect deadlines
- To draw in proper perspective
- To use industry standard software
- To complete a 3D animated film
- To network, job search and promote yourself
Where will this program lead you?
- Most of our students land industry jobs upon graduation.
- Careers may include:
- Lighting Artist
- Motion Capture Editor
- Visual Development Artist
- Character Designer
- Storyboard Artist
- Texture Artist
- 3D Tracking Artist
What else you should know?
- You are not expected to know how to animate before beginning the program
- The Motion Capture studio gives students the ability to learn and use this industry-level tool set as part of their core curriculum, thus providing them with a major competitive advantage
- The Computer Animation Labs allow students to use specialized computers and software for both their classwork and homework. Students have access to the labs on weekends and evenings as well as during the day, which allows students without a computer at home to succeed
- The sound recording booth allows students to record voice performances and Foley sound effects for use in the sound design of their film projects
- Students benefit from belonging to a caring and small community of teachers and students
- All teachers are well-connected to the industry and some continue to work while teaching
What do you need to get in?
- A Diploma of Secondary Studies (DES) or academic background judged equivalent to the DES
- Letter of intent
- Drawing exercise