Civil Engineering Technology is a three-year program that trains students in the management and design of construction projects, in surveying, in environmental studies, and in the laboratory techniques used in testing concrete, asphalt, soils and crushed stone. This program is the only one of its kind among anglophone colleges in Quebec.
Among the skills you will acquire are:
- preparing engineering drawings using both the computer and the drafting table
- developing project management skills such as construction schedules and cost control
- assessing environmental impact of various construction projects
- performing basic design calculations for steel, concrete and wood structures
- planning, designing, constructing, and managing various infrastructure projects
- designing and drafting a complete preliminary road design project
In your final year, you will participate in a training internship that will allow you to apply your skills in the field. Graduates may enter the labour force directly or choose to pursue further studies in engineering at the university level. Depending on the university chosen, you may be granted extra credits toward your degree program.
As a graduate of this program, you will be qualified to work on the construction of private developments and public facilities like roads, buildings, and water distribution and sewer systems. Graduates typically work under the supervision of engineers.