The Medical Ultrasound Technology Program Exit Profile the Dawson College Graduate Profile, and the ministerial program competencies (see Appendix I and II). The Ministerial competencies are defined in line with the needs of the public and private health sectors.
Graduates of the Medical Ultrasound Technology Program will have acquired the professional skills, attitudes, knowledge and judgement for responsible citizenship and entry into the profession. Upon successful completion of the Medical Ultrasound Technology program, graduates will be able to:
- Play an integral role in the detection of injury and disease by performing ultrasound examinations as well as assisting in therapeutic procedures in various areas of medical ultrasound.
- Effectively analyze and correlate the patient’s prescription, medical chart, and technical data to produce quality images, videos, and sonographic findings for the purpose of diagnosis or development of a treatment plan.
- Analyze, filter and organize data from the ultrasound examination performed and provide a clear and concise account to the specialized physician.
- Analyze image quality and respond appropriately to maintain ongoing quality assurance in the clinical setting.
- Ensure the well-being of patients undergoing ultrasound examinations and procedures by providing humanized care through cultural sensitivity, respect for different world views, and compassion for patients and their families.
- Use effective communication when interacting with a diverse patient population, their families, health care providers, and other stakeholders to contribute to quality patient care.
- Communiquer de manière efficace en français à l’oral et à l’écrit dans un contexte professionnel.
- Ensure the protection of patients, co-workers, the public, and one’s self by integrating safe work principles and procedures into practice.
- Act with professional integrity in accordance with professional standards and ethical and legal responsibilities of the profession.
- Work effectively, both autonomously and as part of a collaborative multidisciplinary healthcare team.
- Promote health and well-being and act as an advocate at the level of the individual and the community, within the context of the profession.
- Take responsibility for sustaining personal health and well-being.
- Participate in the sharing of professional knowledge and educate and support others in their pursuit of professional growth.
- Engage in continuous self-reflection and professional development to ensure competent and effective practice in an evolving technological and professional context.