If you require your accommodations for summer courses, please follow these steps:
1. Request your accommodations through the Online AccessAbility Module by using the “Self-Registration” tab (see instructions attached).
DEADLINE to request accommodations: June 27, 2021, NO exceptions after this date.
2. Verify your Dawson College email account (Omnivox – 365 Mail account) and confirm your IEP (Individual Education Plan) by replying to the email. Only after we receive your confirmation of IEP can your accommodations be approved and sent to your teacher(s).
DEADLINE to confirm IEP: July 4, 2021, after this date, your teachers will NOT be informed and NO accommodations by the SAAC will be granted. NO exceptions after this date.
Our role and the services we provide
We offer a variety of services to meet the needs of students with documented disabilities and for whom the disability significantly and persistently impacts their learning. Services are available for students registered in day or evening credit courses.
We provide reasonable accommodations for students with a diagnosis of hearing, visual, motor or organic impairments, learning disabilities, neurological and/or mental health disorders. Services are also offered to students who, due to an accident or illness, will require temporary support.
Reasonable accommodations are determined by an AccessAbility Counsellor based on medical/psychological documentation provided by the student. The intention is to provide the student an equal opportunity to learn and to demonstrate their knowledge. Students registered with the SAAC do not receive a modified curriculum and are held to the same standards as their peers.
Some of the accommodations offered by the SAAC are:
- A quiet space to write tests/exams
- Extended time for tests/exams or stop time
- Use of a computer/laptop
- Alternative formats of texts or documents
- Specialized equipment and/or software
- Peer note-takers
- Faculty liaison
- Reduced course load
- Support from a special education technician
- Support from an attendant
- Referral to other college resources