In order to be awarded the Dawson Centre for Peace Education Certificate in Peace Studies you will be required to fulfill the following criteria:
Each semester there will be a variety of courses that are offered either through the General Education courses or in specific programs that are considered to be cross listed for credit in the Peace Studies Certificate. For a list of the courses this semester you can enroll in please see the Online TimeTable in you Omnivox Portal or click here
Each semester the Peace Centre will host several meetings for students to attend. Over the course of your certificate you must attend one (1) “Peace 101” workshop and at least two (2) Peace Studies Certificate “Community of Practice” discussion groups. These meetings will be largely informal, but will provide students and faculty to come together as a community to work on future projects, activities, share experiences and get to know each other better. Students will be invited via MIO, or email, and the dates will be posted online on the main page of the Peace Centre as well as Peace Centre Programming and Activities.
|Create & submit an artistic work on a relevant subject to an exhibition, publication or public performance||This will be determined by the Administrative Coordinator dependent on the type of work & length of time it took to produce (1 – 3 credits)|
|1 hour lecture on a relevant topic or a panel discussion||.50 credit|
|Meditation ½ hour||.25 credit|
|Volunteering in the 3 Sisters Garden Peace Garden or Rooftop Gardens (2 hours)||1 credit|
|Attending a relevant workshop, or a panel discussion, or Model UN session (2 hours)||1 credit|
|Actively participating in a relevant workshop, panel discussion, round table or Model UN session (3-6 hours)||
Please consult the Administrative coordinator to determine the precise credit you will receive
|Attend a full day relevant conference, at least 3 panels (6 hours)||3 credits|
Volunteer at a relevant community organisation
|Help to organise a relevant activity (4 hours)||2 credits|
|Help to organise and run a relevant an activity( 6 hours)||3 credits|
- Total participation hours must a be a minimum of 6 hours
- All projects require a faculty OR staff supervisor
- Students organizing a peace project can be provided with funding, and potentially human resources as well depending on the nature and needs of the project.
- In-class projects can be counted, as well as group projects.
- All projects must first be approved in writing with the Certificate Coordinator OR the Peace Centre Coordinator.
- All activities can be enrolled in through the Dawson Intranet system, and the Certificate Coordinator will track earned credits;
- Students will be given the option to either attain three Peace Centre Activity credits or organize a peace project;
- The project does not have to be completed in a single semester