This chat is now closed Please send your questions to
- Application Deadline:March 1
- Program Code:140.C0
- DEC in:Biomedical Laboratory Technology
- Certification:Ordre professionnel des technologistes médicaux du Québec
Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science
- Program Length:3 years
If you would like to:
- Become a member of a healthcare team and provide essential laboratory results to aid in patient care
- Perform clinical laboratory testing using automated instrumentation and the latest testing methodologies
- Learn in small classes with personalized attention from your teachers
- Complete clinical internships in diagnostic or research laboratories to prepare you for your professional career
Then the Biomedical Laboratory Technology Program could be for you.
The Biomedical Laboratory Technology Program gives students the theoretical knowledge and practical skills to contribute to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of disease by providing biomedical laboratory services to physicians and other clients.
This program was an excellent stepping stone into my profession, training me with skills I will use every day in the workforce.— Yousha A.
What you will learn?
- To apply health and safety practices to protect yourself, patients, co-workers and the environment
- To use highly specialized instruments and techniques to analyze biological specimens
- To perform laboratory analyses in hematology and hemostasis (the study of blood cells and blood coagulation), clinical biochemistry (the study of body functions and chemical processes), histology (the study of body tissues and organs), clinical microbiology (the study of microorganisms), transfusion science (the study of blood transfusions) and molecular biology (the study of biology on a molecular level).
- To produce reliable results which aid in the diagnosis of disease and in research into medical conditions and treatments
- To develop interpersonal and communications skills that allow you to interact as a team member and with patients
- To adapt to evolving technologies and techniques in biomedical analysis
Where will this program lead you?
- The broad training in many specialties results in excellent employment opportunities locally and across Canada. Many jobs are available in hospitals, research centres, clinics and private laboratories as well as the Canadian Armed Forces. A number of employment opportunities also exist with pharmaceutical companies and biotechnology research laboratories.
- You will become a member of the Ordre professionnel des technologistes médicaux du Québec upon completion of the program. You can also become nationally certified by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science, which will allow you to be recognized anywhere in Canada as a medical technologist.
- Some graduates continue their education at the university level in programs including Microbiology, Immunology, Genetics, Biochemistry, Laboratory Management and Medicine. Additional prerequisites may be required and, in some cases, advanced credit is given.
What else you should know?
Once admitted to the program, students must:
- have a clean criminal record check
- provide proof of a complete immunization record
What do you need to get in?
- A Diploma of Secondary Studies (DES) or academic background judged equivalent to the DES
- Sec IV Mathematics – Technical & Scientific option or Science option 564-406/426 or 565-406/426 or Sec V Cultural, Social & Technical option 563-504 or Mathematics 526
- Sec V Chemistry 551-504 or Chemistry 534
- Sec V Physics 553-504 or Physics 534
- Placement at College English 101 and Basic French 100 (testing may be required)