- Application Deadline:March 1
- Profile Code:500.G3
- DEC in:Arts, Literature and Communication (ALC)
- Program Length:2 years
If you would like to:
- Learn two or more extra languages
- Communicate comfortably in a language other than the one(s) you already know
- Explore different cultures
- Study in a multilingual and multicultural environment
- Meet other people who love language and culture
- Study in a small and friendly program where teachers and students get to know each other
Then the Languages Profile could be for you.
Building bridges between people, cultures and nations takes people who can empathize with different cultural viewpoints and who are fluent in multiple languages. At Dawson, you can choose from a wide selection of languages: Spanish, Italian, German, Mandarin, Hebrew and Modern Greek. In addition, you will be introduced to a variety of cultural, historical and linguistic aspects of those languages. This profile offers exciting learning opportunities, such as a student exchange trip to Germany, an internship in Spain and one-on-one time with German and Spanish language assistants. Students may pursue the German language diploma (DSD I), a DELE Spanish Language Certificate, a CILS Italian Language Certificate or the Certificate in Hellenic Studies.
Small class sizes ensured that I always had support from my teachers and got to meet other students who shared my interests.— Anne-Aurelle S.
What you will learn?
- To understand, speak, read and write well in at least one language other than the one(s) you already know
- To enhance your understanding of other cultures
- To learn the fundamentals of language structure and use
- To advance your knowledge of French
- To advance your creative skills and critical thinking
- To develop and execute a creative project
Where will this program lead you?
Graduates are well prepared for university studies in the arts and social sciences in fields such as:
- Communication Studies
- Cultural Studies
- Interpretation or Translation
- English, Hispanic, German, Asian, Italian or French Studies
- Teaching English or French as a foreign language
Career possibilities will depend on what you choose to study at university. Dawson’s Languages Profile will open doors to most disciplines and professions.
Some possible future careers include: translator, linguist, journalist, researcher, teacher, speech pathologist.
What else you should know?
- Our Languages Department is the largest in the Quebec CEGEP network and the only one to offer Hebrew and Modern Greek
- Students can work in the language labs, with language tutors and get one-on-one time with a German and Spanish language assistant
- The Language Study Centre is our students’ own space where they can meet each other informally, practise their new language skills, do homework, participate in organized conversation workshops, attend special events and work on group projects
- Students go on frequent field trips to local art exhibitions, theatrical presentations and other activities
- Guest speakers or artists are invited from abroad
- There is a possibility to do an internship in Malaga, Spain, where students live with a host family, attend conferences and work
- Students can also participate in an exchange trip to Freiburg and Berlin, Germany
- There is an opportunity to participate in the annual Chinese speech contests organized by the Chinese Government in Canada
- This profile offers a close-knit community and strong profile identity
- Teachers connect with students for extensive one-on-one time
What do you need to get in?
- A Diploma of Secondary Studies (DES) or academic background judged equivalent to the DES
- French placement at 101 level or higher (testing may be required)