Graduation Requirements for the Diploma of Collegial Studies

Upon graduation from CEGEP, a student is awarded a Diploma of Collegial Studies (D.C.S.), also referred to as the Diplôme d’études collégiales (DEC). In order to obtain this diploma, students must satisfy all of their program requirements. In addition to their specific education (concentration courses) of their program, all students must also complete general education and complementary course requirements.

General Education


Four English courses are required for graduation:

  • 603-101-MQ – An introductory course which must be taken first
  • 603-102-MQ – Literary genres
  • 603-103-MQ – Literary themes
  • 603-BXE-DW – Communication: This is a specialized course adapted to the needs of a specific program or to a group of programs.

In some cases, students may be required to take a preparatory course (603-001-50) before taking the four required courses. Depending on a student’s program of study, English courses in the 603-9xx series may be used in the field of concentration. Under no circumstances may these be used as general education courses.


Students who hold a Certificate of Eligibility for English Instruction in Quebec (COE):

Students with a COE are required to complete two French Second Language courses as part of their program:

  • a general course common to all programs;
  • a specialized course adapted to a specific program or to a group of programs. Students take the general course first.

Both of these courses are offered at different levels of competence. A placement level (in most cases based on Quebec Sec V French grades) will determine the appropriate level for each student. In some cases, students who do not have the equivalent of Secondary V level French may be required to take one or more preparatory courses before taking the two required courses.


Students who DO NOT hold a Certificate of Eligibility for English Instruction in Quebec (COE):

Students without a COE are required to pass the French Exit Exam in order to graduate from a DEC program.

To prepare for the French Exit Exam and as part of their program, students without a COE must complete three French literature courses:

  • 602-UF0-MQ Oeuvres narratives et écriture
  • 602-UF1-MQ Poésie, théâtre et écriture
  • 602-UF2-MQ Comparaison d’oeuvres littéraires

Depending on placement level, students without a COE, may also be required to complete additional preparatory French courses before taking the required French literature courses.


Three Humanities courses are required for graduation; one from each of the following categories:

  • 345-101-MQ Knowledge
  • 345-102-MQ World Views
  • 345-BXH-DW Ethical Issues: This is a specialized course adapted to a program or a group of programs.

Physical Education

Three Physical Education courses are required for graduation:

  • 109-101-MQ
  • 109-102-MQ
  • 109-103-MQ

Students should take 109-101-MQ first. Both 109-101-MQ and 109-102-MQ must be taken before 109-103-MQ.

Complementary Courses

Two Complementary courses are required for graduation. Complementary courses are given in the following domains (areas): Social Science, Science and Technology, Language of Mathematics and Computers, Modern Languages and Arts and Aesthetics. Students must select their complementary courses from domains accessible to their programs and from disciplines outside those used in their fields of concentration.

Each domain is divided into two ensembles (BW__, BX__). A maximum of one course may be taken per ensemble per domain. Students should check the outline of the graduation requirements in the program sections for information on which domains may be taken in their programs.

Specific Education Courses

Students must also follow a particular pattern of specific education (I.e. concentration or specialization) courses. These requirements appear in each program section under Course List.

Comprehensive Examination (Épreuve synthèse)

All students must complete and pass an comprehensive assessment in order to graduate. The Comprehensive Assessment (now referred to by the Ministry as the Comprehensive Exam) is an evaluation of a student’s mastery of the objectives of his or her entire program. The format of this evaluation is specified by the individual programs.

Exit Test (Épreuve uniforme de langue)

English Exit Exam (EEE)

Students who have a certificate of eligibility for English instruction in Quebec (COE) are required to pass the English Exit Exam.

The English Exit Test is an evaluation of a student’s mastery of the objectives of the core English curriculum. In order to be eligible to take the English Exit test you must have passed all three of the required English Block A courses (101, 102, 103 or equivalent as determined by the College) OR have passed two of these (101, 102, 103 only) and be taking your third required English course now.


Épreuve uniforme de français (EUF)

Les étudiants qui sont NON-titulaires d’une déclaration d’admissibilité à l’enseignement en anglais au Québec doivent écrire l’épreuve uniforme de français.

L’épreuve uniforme de français est une évaluation pour déterminer dans quelle mesure l’étudiant peut appliquer ce qui lui a été enseigné dans ses cours de français.

Pour être admissible à l’épreuve uniforme, il faut avoir réussi deux des trois cours préparatoires (602-UF0-MQ, 602-UF1-MQ) à l’épreuve et être en voie de terminer le troisième (602-UF2-MQ) au moment de l’inscription à l’épreuve.

University Admission Requirements

Students who have met all diploma requirements will not necessarily have satisfied all conditions for university admission. Students should verify admission requirements with an academic advisor.

Students who have questions about their graduation requirements should speak to an academic advisor.

Last Modified: November 24, 2023