• They simplify the transition between academic programs, and minimize the duplication of course work.
  • They can save you time and money.
  • They provide transparency, so that – upon applying – you have a sense of the transfer credit you are likely to receive.
  • You don’t have to provide all kinds of course information in order to negotiate transfer credit.

In this context, the sending institution is the school you are leaving or from which you are graduating … Dawson College.

The receiving institution is the school where you hope to be accepted in order to complete further studies.

Unfortunately not. Admissions are competitive, and sometimes the number of spots in a program are limited. There may be other admissions requirements as well. For example, you might have additional prerequisite courses to take, and grades of a certain level might be required in those courses. You should contact the receiving institution (the school with which Dawson has an agreement and to which you are applying) to inform yourself of all admission criteria.

Some agreements require that students apply within a certain number of years after completing their diploma. Program revisions at either the sending or receiving institution can also affect articulation agreements. It’s best to check with the school to which you plan to apply.

Transfer credits are the use of credits completed at one school (usually called the sending institution) towards program requirements at another school (called the receiving institution). You may be able to transfer credits that you completed in your program at Dawson to a related program at a university. Transfer credits are recorded only after you apply and have been accepted at the receiving institution.

An assessment is done, and receiving institutions may choose to recognize transfer credit through either:

  • Course-by-course credit transfer, where individual courses in your diploma program and future university program are compared by the university to determine which courses can be transferred.
  • Block transfer of credits, where a group of courses from your diploma program are accepted in your university program and assigned a given number of transfer credits, based on the academic content and rigour of studies, and the competencies achieved in those courses.

Where formal, signed articulation agreements exist, the receiving institution applies the transfer credit outlined in the agreement as long as stated criteria are met.

Remember, generally any university will consider credit transfer requests initiated by individual students. These are handled on a case-by-case basis, and require individual negotiation by the student.

It is important to note that even when transfer credits are granted, students are sometimes required to take essential first-year foundation courses, depending on the university and program.

Under some of our articulation agreements, it is possible to complete a degree in as little as 2 years depending on the university and program, and the amount of transfer credit received. [Remember that two years can sometimes imply more than 2 semesters of study per year.]

Click HERE to follow a link to a list/database of schools with which Dawson has signed articulation agreements.

However, Dawson does not necessarily need to have an agreement with a school for you to receive transfer credit there. If Dawson does not have an agreement with the institution to which you plan to apply, you will need to be more active in negotiating transfer credits once admitted. Contact the admissions office of your new school once admitted. Details regarding transfer credits are sometimes listed in your offer of admission.

For each of the schools you are looking at, you should consider the following:

  • Is the particular focus of the university program in line with my interests and goals?
  • Do I have the prerequisites (if applicable)?
  • Is a bridging semester required before I can begin studies?
  • Where do I want to live while studying?
  • How much will it cost?
  • Will I get transfer credits or advanced standing based on my cegep studies?
  • Can I study either full time or part time?
  • Are online courses/distance education available?
  • Are scholarships or other financial aid available?

In some cases, yes. Start by exploring Athabasca University which specializes in offering online programs. New online programs (sometimes called distance education programs) are being developed at other schools as well. You should contact the universities that interest you about the possibility of online programs.

Contact the Admissions Office at the school(s) to which you are applying regarding articulation agreements and transfer credits.

Last Modified: August 19, 2015