- Application Deadline:March 1, November 1
- Profile Code:300.FA
- DEC in:Social Science
- Program Length:2 years
If you would like to:
- Gain skills and knowledge from a variety of Social Science subjects
- Learn to apply the scientific method and how to collect and analyze data
- Investigate ethical, social and legal issues
- Dive into the history and foundations of human civilizations
- Deepen your knowledge of human psychology
- Understand political and economic systems
- Get to know different peoples, cultures and religions
- Take mathematics courses (Calculus I, Calculus II, Linear Algebra)
- Imagine a different world
- Then the General Social Science Profile could be for you.
Then the General Social Science Profile could be for you.
General Social Science gives students the opportunity to explore and discover various subjects at CEGEP before committing to more focused studies at university. Dawson College’s largest program has more than 150 passionate teachers who are experts in their disciplines. Many are active researchers and share their latest insights in class. You can enhance your learning by choosing classes that count toward Dawson’s certificates in Peace Studies, Women’s/Gender Studies, Hellenic Studies and our newly launched Decolonization and Indigenization Studies. This is the profile to choose if you would like to easily fit mathematics courses into your schedule and keep as many doors open as possible for program choices at university.
My program gave me the chance to sample a variety of subjects. Now I know what to focus my studies on in the future.— Faisal H.
What you will learn?
- To communicate clearly, both in writing and speaking
- To analyze research and critically evaluate data
- To create research projects
- To engage logically and effectively in debates
- To understand the processes of change in society
- To integrate learning acquired throughout the program
Where will this program lead you?
A DEC in Social Science offers solid preparation for a wide variety of university degrees in the Social Sciences as well as in fields such as Arts, Education and Law. Following university, graduates may pursue careers in social service, education, law enforcement, governmental and non-governmental organizations, business, the economic sector, finance, psychology and law. A Social Science DEC signifies to future employers that the individual has acquired a vast number of skills and knowledge that are easily transferable to a multitude of industries.
What else you should know?
- While a DEC in Social Science means you can apply to a wide variety of university programs, graduates must verify that they have completed the required prerequisites for particular programs before applying. For example, many Commerce programs require mathematics prerequisites.
- Events at Dawson, such as Social Science Week and the Humanities and Public Life Conference, feature dozens of guest speakers and activities, offering the opportunity to learn from distinguished researchers, academics and public personalities.
What do you need to get in?
- A Diploma of Secondary Studies (DES) or academic background judged equivalent to the DES
- Sec IV Mathematics - Cultural, Social & Technical option 563-404/414 or Mathematics 416.