The two Business Administration programs at Dawson College follow the same course of study in the first year to give you a solid business foundation in the fundamentals of accounting and marketing.
Business Management (Marketing) is a three-year career program that prepares students for direct entry into the workplace. Emphasis is placed on electronic marketing and international business to give you the tools and knowledge required to operate in a rapidly evolving global environment. Business Management (Marketing) students perform an observation stage in a retail environment in the fifth semester of the program and a hands-on stage in an authentic business setting during the last semester.
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- develop a well-structured and well-integrated marketing plan and an international marketing strategy appropriate to a number of environments
- plan, develop and provide customer service
- manage sales functions and activities
- contribute to business methods and management decision-making
- use computers and appropriate business software applications to respond to international and analytical requirements and to develop an e-marketing strategy
- use problem-solving and critical thinking skills to select, analyze and interpret information
- interact and communicate effectively and professionally, both orally and in writing, in both French and English
- demonstrate responsible self-management and the ability to apply moral reasoning to personal, public and professional issues
- transfer acquired skills and knowledge across disciplines
Objectives of the Program
Students are introduced to marketing concepts and various marketing research methods that provide a good understanding of the customers’ needs and the competitive environment in which firms operate. The field of consumer behaviour is also fully explored. Students further expand their knowledge with the study of the elements of the marketing mix (product, price, promotion and distribution).
- Business Marketing managers perform tasks related to planning and executing the conception, pricing, promotion and distribution of products.
- Graduates may supervise a sales team and/or manage a business.
- Typically, they work for retailers, wholesalers, service providers or establishments specializing in the sale of products and services.