This chat is now closed Please send your questions to
- Application Deadline:March 1
- Profile Code:200.E2
- DEC in:Science
- Program Length:2 years
If you would like to:
- Nurture your passion for the sciences including biology, physics, chemistry and mathematics
- Learn about concrete ways you can positively influence environmental sustainability
- Learn about ecology and how the preservation of ecosystems will benefit current and future generations
- Keep all your options open and complete the science prerequisites for university programs
- Obtain a DEC in Science
Then the Environmental Science Profile could be for you.
The Environmental Science Profile offers all the same science prerequisites for university entrance as other Science profiles (Pure and Applied and Health) with a focus on ecology, outdoor labs and stimulating field trips. You will gain practical field experience that can be applied to your university studies. Environmental Science highlights the diversity and interconnectedness of living organisms and their importance in the ecosystem.
Environmental Science at Dawson taught me many useful skills, including how to write a scientific article, design an experiment and collect data outside of a laboratory setting.— Juliet M.
What you will learn?
- To identify the context in which scientific ideas originate and evolve
- To collect, analyze and communicate experimental data
- To think critically and analytically
- To reason like a scientist
Where will this program lead you?
Graduates of the Environmental Science Profile can pursue their studies in any field, as they will have the prerequisites necessary for admission to all university programs. Many choose to continue in the Sciences in programs such as Biology, Biochemistry, Environmental Biology, Ecology, Earth Science, Geography and Conservation Ecology.
What else you should know?
Students will participate in many field trips, including a five-day intensive trip as part of the Environmental Biology & Wilderness Camping course combination (two nights of which are spent outdoors). There are also possible volunteer opportunities.
What do you need to get in?
- A Diploma of Secondary Studies (DES) or academic background judged equivalent to the DES
- Sec V Mathematics – Technical & Scientific option or Science option 564-506 or 565-506 or Mathematics 536
- Sec V Chemistry 551-504 or Chemistry 534
- Sec V Physics 553-504 or Physics 534
Conditional admission is based on Secondary IV final and Secondary V mid-term grades. Final admission into the Science Program is contingent on obtaining a DES which includes the prerequisite courses with appropriate grades.